new pirhana

Ron

New Fish
Mar 8, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I have a few questions about my new red-bellied pirhana.

1.How big will it grow in a 10 gallon tank?

2.What would be a good diet to help it grow big with nice coloring?

3.Would it be a bad idea to add another pirhana (of the same size) in a few days?

4.Does water temp. affect feeding patterns?

Also any other input would be great, thanks!

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
piranha should have a minimum of 120 gallon tank, it will get as big as its body can fit in that tank (wont be able to move and will be misserable) but is insides will continue to grow and will become deformed, sickly and most likely die, id return him to where you bought him and wait till you can setup a proper tank for one, and in that time you need to research them so you do not make a mistake like this again

AnThRaXiD

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2003
EUROPE
Visit site
yes i agree 1000000% with soulfish..... rbps can reach 12" i got 10 right now in a 180g tank they are about 8" each! they are doing great..
about the rest of what you said! you cant even have this one in a 10g so forget about getting him one more! give him back to the lfs and get some neon tetras!
dont get fish that get big until you have a proper tank! of 55g or more!

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
actualy guys, if he keeps a small school of red bellies , 3 or 4, in a ten gallon he should be ok for a while... and i mean SMALL. Keep them on a strict diet. Hell the ones i used to keep would eat flake :) and the occasional guppie. It keeps their bellies full and growth limited until you're ready to pop them into a larger tank. Of cource what i just said isnt recomeneded for the newbie aquarist. Good Luck :)

But to answer your questions:
1.How big will it grow in a 10 gallon tank?
read what i said above. if you feed them libraly, they will grow at amazing rates and be immoraly packed into the tank.

2.What would be a good diet to help it grow big with nice coloring?
To grow large with good colouring. Live foods out the ass, feeder guppies at small, work your way upto minnows and goldfish, various crustations, chunks of brine, squid, cow heads .. hahaha

3.Would it be a bad idea to add another pirhana (of the same size) in a few days?
I suggest keeping them the same size, adding them at the same time, otherwise that new guy will suddenly dissapear. If you can only add one in a few days, rearange the tank of possible.

4.Does water temp. affect feeding patterns?
yes. as does with all fish.

Oct 22, 2002
I kept a 6 <1" baby red bellies in a 10 gallon for about 6 months till they out grew it, then moved them to my 30 gallon when they were about 1-2" inches, a year and a half later they are about 3" and have reside in a friends 55 gallon. I'd guess they have another 14-24 months before they outgrow it.

As for diet, I'd stay away from flakes unless they are quarter sized, anything larger and go with cichlid sticks that have loads of protein. Their color doesn't really get vibrant till they get over 2 inches (in my limited experience)

ok i agree with adamj for the most part in a 10gal tank you can have 5-6 reds in there if feed very well but they cant be there for life they grow very fast up to 4-5in then grow .5-1in a year you would have to get a bigger tank in about a month lets say you want 3 of them go buy a 55-75gal tank then they can be there for life

1.you would have to change tanks in like a month

2.for p's under an inch go with brine shimp or blood worms there frozen and work great

3.no wouldent be a bad idea at all to put another in but be ware when there little like that they will fight for a day or so to show aggression but keep them feed well feed atleast 3 times a day for like a week then you can go down to like 2 times a day

4.yes temp dose the colder it is it slows the metabalizm down and they dont eat as much the higher it is the more they eat but keep the temp between 77-82 they like it between there

just remember that you will have to get a bigger tank ive been raiseing p's for a long time and this would be the best way to aproch it

piranha198220

GARRDN

New Fish
May 14, 2003
Ohio
matrixvibe.net
i ahve had my rblys for a year now fron 1 1/4" - 6", i stared them ina 30 then to a 55, they now reside in 75 where they have plenty of room, i feed them beef heart, blood worms, feeders, baby convicts my lady convict keeps pumpim out, and some worms from time to time. I keep the lighting dim and have live plants that cover most of the top and drif wood also,