New Member - Freshwater tank

Oct 30, 2013
Hello :wave:
I have had my 200L freshwater tank for almost 3 years now, and it is as healthy as can be :)

I have signed up here for some help and information.

I purchased a Bumblebee Catfish 5 days ago, and 3 days ago noticed some tetra (9 to be precise) have disappeared!
I have done some research into the catfish, as I find it difficult to believe the two are unrelated.
I know there are South American and Asian varieties. I have also found out the SA variety is omnivorous and quite ok in a communal tank, whereas the Asian variety is carnivorous, and will eat smaller fish (ie: tetras!)
I am struggling to work out which mine is.

Other information which may help in getting an answer, is that it seems to be territorial with the plecs, having tried to evict them from their rocks/hiding places. It already even has fight scars on it from where it has tussled with the plecs.

Help would be appreciated, as if it is an Asian catfish, it will have to go, as our tetra schools are dwindling by the day, and no bodies are to be seen, which I find odd.

Pictures of the fish below. (It is currently segregated in a net until I know if it safe to release it back into the tank or not.)

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2013
Thanks for the welcome :)
That's what I feared :(
It's a shame as I really like him, but also lie my schools of varied tetra, and I'd rather keep those than a fish that spends most of its time hiding in a rock.
Thing is, I was sold it by a shop under their suggestion that it was fine in a communal tank, and not aggressive. I'm wondering if they know which variety it is they have in stock, as it's only a small local shop.

Oct 30, 2013
I've spoken to the shop this morning, and they have offered to take the catfish back and give us credit :)
They have also offered to replace the 9 tetra that have been lost, as they also see it all as more than a coincidence.
They will also be looking into the catfish themselves, and to whether their supplier made a mistake, or themselves.
The shop were mainly happy that I gave them a heads up, so other customers don't come across the same problems.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I've had similiar situations in tanks before. most catfish are predatory and i am an absolute catfish nut lol. I bought a 3 inch long shovel nose once. I put it in my cichlid tank figuring they would be to big and agressive for him to catch and would not get alot of food so he would grow slowly. yeah i was wrong about that. as soon as he was about 6 inches long i noticed cichlids missing. one morning i turned on the light and he had one of my yellow labs tails sticking out of it's mouth.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I've spoken to the shop this morning, and they have offered to take the catfish back and give us credit :)
They have also offered to replace the 9 tetra that have been lost, as they also see it all as more than a coincidence.
They will also be looking into the catfish themselves, and to whether their supplier made a mistake, or themselves.
The shop were mainly happy that I gave them a heads up, so other customers don't come across the same problems.
That's a good pet shop. A little customer service goes a long way.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Too bad he is a fish-eater (and a hider) - otherwise he is a pretty fish.

If you are looking for a pretty and peaceful catfish, check out hoplo catfish: Megalechis thoracata. They are kinda like a hotdog sized cory. Unfortunately they can be hard to find, though they aren't that expensive. Do well in groups, very personable, and good with small as well as large fish. Cool fish.

Feb 27, 2009
If they do this for you, you are a lucky customer indeed! I would buy my supplies from them even if it costs me more than the 'bigger' stores just to bring them business.

The best way to determine the species of fish is to get a photograph of it and do your own research. It is amazing how many fish have similar 'trade names' but totally different care and temperaments. Scientific names are the way to go.