new kid on da block!

newfisher

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
*twirlysmiley*

Hi! I'm brand new to the world of fish! I've found this site, and hope to learn alot of good stuff! Right now I'm starting up a 10 gal. freshwater...but hope to get a BIGGER tank next year!

Colsea...u may know me as newfish on the comment board! Still would like to talk with you about water...I want the BEST for my fish!

See ya!
*celebratesmiley*

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
The best water possible for your fish...hmmm...well, what type of fish do you want?

Water chemistry and water quality are two different issues that are closely related, but not quite. First pick out the type of fish you're insterested in, that will help decide what type of water chemistry you need. Water quality is simply how clean you keep it, and I usually tell people, if you won't drink the water from your fishtank, it ain't clean enough.

~~Colesea

newfisher

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
well, like I say, I am new to all this....

Been doing lots of reading...

I have well water (hard), but I have a water softener. I really like angel fish and tetras...really all kinds. My LFS says my water chem. wouldn't be right for those fish...they prefer softer water. They recommend a RO unit. But I see from some of your posts that pure RO water isn't good either...so what would be? a combo of the 2? 8 gallons of RO to 2 of my tap? I want to grow plants too...and upgrade to a LARGE tank next year...75 gallon or more...

I can buy a RO unit for around 220.00 from my lfs. Is that the route I should take? ::)

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You don't need an RO water purifier if you are going have a planted tank.  With a planted tank, you will have a CO2 component such as a DIY yeast or buy a CO2 bottle to hook up to your system.  With a CO2 system, you pH will be lowered which will be beneficial the fish you keep.

I have neons and angels at one point in my planted tank and the tap water coming out of my sink is very hard with a high pH.  With the addition of CO2, it comes down to perfect levels in terms of pH (somewhere around 7.0.-7.2).

If you do want an RO system, you can get one at Home Depot for $150.  It just doesn't have a DI unit which might be required in a marine setup but not a freshwater setup with plants.

newfisher

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I did...ran fishless for 4 or 5 days...

We then got a small marble molly (salt 'n peppa) and a small black molly (ebony) to start the bacteria process...have a UGF. 1 live plant...forget the name. LFS recommended it for harder water. PH seems to be running kinda high...8.5 to 9 now. fish seem fine. Will see if the PH drops... From everything I've heard, it sounds like a combo of RO water and my tap would be the best way to go...

and thanks everyone for your help and suggestions...it IS appreciated!  *thumbsup2*

newfisher

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Please tell me more about CO2...is it really necessary for live plants? sounds pricey...how often do you get refills? If I got an RO unit, would I still need CO2 for my plants? *crazysmiley*

newfisher

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
forgot something.... ???

what I meant is that you mention CO2 will lower PH to more tolerable levels...my concern (if its real) is of hardness...

just using my well water and CO2, my PH should be good, but probably my water hardness wouldn't...

So now do I need an RO unit and CO2 unit? then use 7 gallons RO water to 3 of tap? man...I thought this was gonna be easy! lol!  *twirlysmiley*

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O.K.  Tell me something?  Are you planning to setup a tank where you can breed Angelfish and other soft water species?

Most of the LFS and local breeders these days have acclimated the angelfish and neons to local tap water.  The fish will do extremely fine in some of the harder waters here in Southern CA.  The problem might occur if you want to breed the angels to produce eggs which might not be viable in harder waters.

But in terms of having only a planted tank, angelfish, and a CO2 system and having healthy fish, that's all you need.  However, if you plan to have a breeding regimen with a bare tank with constant water changes, then do get an RO unit.  You can get it at Home Depot too for much less.

If you want to do it the cheap way of lowering KH (which consists mostly of Mg and Ca), you can use a water softener for which you have to remove this.  Or even cheaper is to use peat filtration which however can get messy if you don't do it properly.

http://www.marksfish.f9.co.uk/

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Dang just read that you only have a 10 gallon.  You can just go to your supermarket and get RO for 25 cents/gallon.  

There, no more thinking involved.  Now you are set.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Cole drinks out of her fish tanks...yuck!! Do you dip the glass in there or use a straw?

I saw Angels had eggs in a 29 gallon eclipse at my fav LFS.
The water is hard there. So it is possable with whatever type of water for some fish.

My water is very hard , PH 8, and I keep all fish from different habitats and waters fine.

Newfish, you are right.
The ph from Co2 doesn't make water any better or softer for soft water fish. Moving the KH higher with carbonic acids does little for the GH and the minerals in the water.

But , I think most fish adapt quite nicely to our(your) water with some exceptions.

newfisher

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No...I didn't add ammonia...didn't know about that part!  :eek:

I really don't want to breed Angels...have no idea what to do with a bunch of little fishies! Just want to have a nice tank, healthy fish, and good water for 'em all...

My molly fish are still alive, so THATS good!  *thumbsup2*

But I do want a bigger tank next year, and live plants...Sounds like a combo of my tap and RO water would be best!  *twirlysmiley*

rummynose

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
dont know
I have Angels and tetras and my water is hard, 13 kH. The tank is heavily planted and I enject C02 (DIY) but my pH stays around 7.5.  My Angels lay eggs about every 10 days and I would love to have lots of little fishies; I even set up a second breeding tank once.  Unfortunatly 90% of the eggs would not hatch and those that did I could never get the fry to eat.  I think it is the hard water.  bummer.