New Here

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
Hi Jan,

welcome to the board. i'm johnny. I'm glad that you found a good forum to call home. That really makes me glad. Glad to see that all the hard work i've put into this site is finally paying off.

welcome again and let's make this forum into a great community! feel free to email me if you have any questions or comments.

Johnny

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Hello, everybody...

I have been searching the net for a good fish forum to call home, and I think this may be it. Seems like there is a lot of enthusiasm and willingness to share information here. I like that.  

Anyway, a little about me. I currently have a 33 gallon planted aquarium. It is my third aquarium in the last year.  I started with a 55 gallon mbuna tank, which went very well, as I researched it to death before I started. Then I decided I wanted to try plants and set up a little ten gallon planted tank in August.  Then the 55 sprang a leak, and my LFs owner (who is a peach!) traded me that one for a brand new 33. Said he didn't want me to have to give up the hobby because I didn'thave the money for a new tank. He also swapped me pretty generously for all the mbuna, enough to get my tank started with some nice plants and a couple more fish.

My 33L has a kitty litter substrate covered with sand, DIY CO2, Temp 78 Ph 6.8 Ammonia and Nitrite 0, Nitrate stays about 5, even immediately after a water change. I do the water change every 4 days, because that poop stays right on top of the sand and since the tank is in the main part of the house, I want it to look nice.  I change about 5 gallons at every water change.  I have pennywort, water hyacinth, camboda, water hyssop, some small amazon swords that the rosey barbs keep digging up and one or two other things I don't know the proper names for. All growing though, so I guess I am doing something right.

The fishy inhabitants of my tank are
4 rosey barbs
6 black neon tetras
5 lemon tetras
and 1 pl*co

I don't think that is overcrowded, but just about right.  However, if you think I need more or less fish, please let me know.  I know the rosey barbs are going to have to go back to the fish store soon. as they are destroying my plants. It isn't from lack of food either, because They are fed twice a day, I think they just think it is fun. They are very energetic little fish, lots of fun to watch.

Anyway, I hope this hasn't been too long.  I hope I can be active on this board. You all seem great!

bye,

Jan