new here, yep im a piranha freak

xice99

New Fish
Feb 26, 2006
Philippines
yup i agree once the RBPs hit more than a year it becomes purty 'dull'.
I have 6 big RBPs in my 75 Gallon and when one of them died (don't ask me it just floated when i woke up), i decided the fun's over and transferred the remaining 5 in our 1K g + pond.

But it is a conversation piece on the living room.
"Is that piranha you have there?" and then I'll tell them how to spot a real RBP. (like jaw, teeth, tail color). Funny how people get naturally afraid and awed.

since i only have 2 pond, the one is really small around 250g only, i made an impromptu chicken wire mesh to segregate my RBPs from my Kois of the bigger pond.

after months i chanced upon my 'local' fish peddler and convinced me to buy from his 'imported' RBPs so again i bought 4 2.5" RBPs. After 2 months they joined the 5 big RBPs to make 9 RBPs. Still most of the time they're 'dull'. But infinitely better than taking Pacu's.

re-stocked the 75g with 2 10" silver arowana and 1 8" golden arowana.

Now currently on a cichlid craze (has 4 convicts to fatten up), I've heard they're an even match with the RBPs.

handse

New Fish
May 6, 2007
pirhana

hi hi i know its a hard job but can any1 help me with telling the sex of my red bellied wonders.
----------------
50gallon,
3 pirhana

30gallon.
3 red oscers

3 10gallons,
moilles
plecs
clown loach

handse

New Fish
May 6, 2007
pirhana

hi hi i know its a hard job but can any1 help me with telling the sex of my red bellied wonders.
----------------
50gallon,
3 pirhana

30gallon.
3 red oscers

3 10gallons,
moilles
plecs
clown loach
congo frogs
guppeys*twirlysmi

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
they are impossible to sex just by looking at them. the only way i know of to sex them is to moniter their behavior during spawning. normally the female seems to be the boss of the tank. hogging the food, chasing the others off if they get too close, but during spawning the male becomes extreemly aggressive towards the female and you will notice damage to the female just behind her gills from the constant abuse. i don't recomend turning the heat up to find out if you have more than 3 fish. the first time i tried it i had 3 and they went nuts and tried to kill each other.

Mason- It can vary but mine got to be 8 inches in under 3 years in a 55 gallon.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I just registered here and this is my first post. I used to have a piranha when I was younger but had to give it up when I joined the military. Now i'm out and I just started a new tank up with 3 baby red bellies.

captbill

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2008
wow i didnt get past the 3rd page... I have had over 100 pirahanas and one blacky named enidt...the baddest fish in the world, in fact I have a tat of that mean little bastard on my arm!!!! I like pirahanas and all predatory fish! they have been a bigger part of of my attraction of my love for having a fish tank...U name it ive had most in the past. IMO its your tank and u r the one that has to net the little bastards -me i switched to my wifes clear punch bowl to catch them, nets seemed to not work so well lol-and hey convicts lived with the reds well would even pop holes in the bags from store awsome! Need I say more...

Attachments

Apr 23, 2009
Hey tiger9 I am a "piranha freak" too. Or maybe aspire to be one. If being a freeak takes some years of experience to deserve the title! I've only had mine a few weeks now. But they are my pride and joy, love em. Still a young shoal, but coming along beautifuly.

new here also, love pirahnas....

saw this thread about the caribes, i had pretty much every tropical fish you can get, or can't get in the stores, really loved my red bellied pirhanas, illegal here in california but i kept some for a long while anyway. i still have one in my freezer waiting to get it stuffed, my brother thought it would be cool to put a fresh water puffer fish in the tank when i went on vacation, my caribe died from the neurotoxin of course, he was a good 11 inches, had him since he was the size of a quarter.

1 anostomus-nostomus
2 silver dollars
1 pleco

another tank

12 exodon tetras- nothing else can survive with them

kb951

Medium Fish
Mar 11, 2011
United States
I just got 10 2" Red bellies :) i have them in a 30 gallon tank for right now, and i was thinking of what light i should get, they say i should dim the light but how? any additional information of these beautiful predators would be helpful thanks!

Apr 27, 2012
Lexington, KY
Hey everyone! I know I'm super late, but nevertheless, I've got a 90gal with a shoal of 10 red bellies. They recently spawned, most the fry didnt make it. I've got 4 or 5 left from the batch. Regardless I'm happy with the result as I wasnt even trying to spawn them.
In my opinion p's are by far the most misunderstood fish. Maybe its the flesh eating nature, or the razor sharp teeth... Whatever it is, it's a misconception. I too was a little uneasy when first getting these fish as i have 2 young girls. I've had mine for a few years and have never had a problem.

The ones I have are very fascinating. They stay active, maybe it's the fact that i keep them in a shoal and keep them well fed with a balanced diet of live, frozen, and pellet foods. Anyways just throwing in my 2 cents.

heres a picture of my tank

p's.jpg

Apr 27, 2012
Lexington, KY
I just got 10 2" Red bellies :) i have them in a 30 gallon tank for right now, and i was thinking of what light i should get, they say i should dim the light but how? any additional information of these beautiful predators would be helpful thanks!
you can use floating live plants to cut down on the amount of light. Works great for my p tank. That and some blackwater extract