new here, yep im a piranha freak

TIGER9

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
indiana
lets ease up ppl, i thought we'd defused this situation. n im willing to admit i didnt help it any at first. but things seemed to be goin good. Taffy, u seemed to be enjoying learning about piranha and why we keep them. yet u still come back with some snide remarks, that branch davidian thing, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?
at the same time GG, u gotta remember most people dont understand the appeal we find in piranha and probably never will, even when we try to explain it.
i started this thread to introduce myself and let people know what kinda fish i take care of. no more no less.

Jul 16, 2003
www.piranha-fury.com
Originally posted by TIGER9
at the same time GG, u gotta remember most people dont understand the appeal we find in piranha and probably never will, even when we try to explain it.
Not sure why this was directed to me....Im not trying to convert anyone into the piranha hobby, it makes no difference to me. I simply dont like blanket statements when it comes to fishkeeping. It makes no difference to me if someone keeps a reef tank, guppies, or piranhas...I think they all deserve the same amount of respect because we should keep what makes us happy, not what makes others happy.

Jul 16, 2003
WI
Visit site
Originally posted by TaffyFish
There are, quite evidently, some fish keepers who carry a lot of baggage around with them and appear to look for negativity behind any question.

You play a dangerous game when you consider yourself and your small group as somehow superior, with the need to make a stand against the “ignorance” of others. Did you ever hear of the Branch Davidians?
Is this a broad generalization? I hope so... :confused:

"Superior"... piranha keepers?..please! If anything we are the scum of the fish world. LOL. We just make futile stands against the ones who oppose us. :D Now if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting in Waco.

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
Frustrating. There's a lot of miscommunication between us, GG, maybe more than a little Limey/Yank cultural misunderstanding. I clearly have the same problem as you with having to make an effort to act civil. :) We each have our observations and opinions and this is leading nowhere again. Unless you want to take this to private messages should we consider that enough has been said?

Jul 16, 2003
www.piranha-fury.com
Taffyfish...I have no problems with you or anyone on this site. I thought this thread was very informative and I hope the 5 pages does not dissuade some from reading it because it really is worth the read.
I am a firm believer in keeping the fish that make you happy and not judging people by the fish they keep...I mean really, how pathetic is it to judge someone by the fish they keep? Im not directing this statement towards anyone....it just seems so funny to me that we almost need to coin the term "fishism or fishist" because some can be so judgmental...LOL. One of the true faults of human nature.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
I'd agree the thread has been worthwhile - a lot of info has been exhanged, and a few misconceptions sorted out. As for personal attitudes, they will always be with us, (including mine), so i allow others the same privaledge.

This whole site is about information exchange, and it's good that we have people in the tank who understand 'P' so well - a good tank should have a good balance.

Quite funny to compare the behaviour of the fish we keep with the behaviour of the keepers - lol

Odiee_Garf

Medium Fish
Mar 14, 2004
Alberta,Canada
Visit site
Piranhaman! This is wonderful..... I liked the site as well... Is it true that they are man eaters if given the chance though>? Just remembering some movies with these types of fish.. LOL>.
Weren't you scared of them. hehe.. and what do you feed your little underwater family>?
I think people that take the links to having nice big fish.. and gorgeous tanks.. is wonderful.. I am just starting out.. don't know how big I will go.. but.. skies the limit right. hehe..
Thanks.... Odiee_Garf

nf9648

Small Fish
May 18, 2004
Fort Hood, TX
Visit site
Originally posted by TaffyFish
There are, quite evidently, some fish keepers who carry a lot of baggage around with them and appear to look for negativity behind any question.

You play a dangerous game when you consider yourself and your small group as somehow superior, with the need to make a stand against the “ignorance” of others. Did you ever hear of the Branch Davidians?
I live 30 minutes from Waco...:D

heres a piranha story for you all ... true too ... my friends dad was scuba diving i have no clue where but he said he ran into a school of them he said after the load he dropped "not really" he stopped and wondered what he should do (what would you do if you had a school of them staring at you lol) he said he took a few steps towards them and they in turn backed up in stride with him then he just stopped and they stopped then he just backed up and went on his way ... he said it was an awesome experience and mind you if he crossed their "imaginary line" he probably would have been torn to pieces but he wasnt, i asked him if he was crazy for walking towards them and he said he wanted to see what they'd do (dont ask lol) ... i called him crazy he called it an awesome experience ... true story too unless he was lying which he isnt known for

Evilhead

Small Fish
Aug 22, 2004
Kanzaki-cho, Japan
Visit site
I went to the Suma aquarium in Kobe last weekend (I live in Japan), and I was blown away by many of the tanks there (a lot of stuff I've never seen before, like full grown Gigas, etc), but one of the most impressive tanks they had was their piranha exhibit. On either side of you are two huge tanks filled with literally hundreds and hundreds of piranhas. What really struck me, actually, was their beauty. They all had this fantastic gold shimmer to their scales, and it really looked like they were made of gold. I forgot to check the species since I was so awestruck... any ideas?

whatsmango

Small Fish
Aug 23, 2004
Hull, UK
Visit site
those sound pretty cool evil, havnt a clue about them though!
i think piranhas are a great fish. really different, and great to look at. Even my dad thought they were cool, which is saying something... he's the sort that things it 'fine' to wear knee length socks with sandals in the middle of summer lol.
personally, i think i would enjoy the feeding time frenzy of them. just watching them rip apart a big steak or something....
anywho, i also think the puffers are great fish too. the're so cute when the're small... i just cant see though how something with such a small mouth is so preditory! lol

so many fish wanted.... so little money to have them!

mixture

G'day

australia has a BAN on them, i couldnt imagine what would happen if any got into our top end, i have seen red bellied here on the gold coast under strict watch, nice big fish too. i think they have some whipple? is that right wimple some thing like that. we have a huge drama with tilapia here and the odd red oscar due to idiots releasing them into water ways, i heard years ago florida was like that too but the use oscars as a sport fish now cos they taste like ummm ****e. but the good old barramundie doesnt mind eating them, still they are a problem. the tilapia in the ROSS river have gone over the fresh water barrier into the salt, now i know african cichlids can handle some salt ( i use to breed south americans) but this is tidal rivers mangroves etc etc is this normal for them ? i dont know

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
i didnt read this whole thread i got kinda bored after the first couple pages of the flame war ^_^

so i put on my SPF 300 and am posting this here reply

I personally think the older mature red bellies are rather dull and not much to look at but the juvies are somthing elese, they are one of the most purty fish i have seen, only to loss the color with age :(

i have at one point in time owned red bellies myself and to be honest the only reason why i got them was because i thought they were cold blooded killers... sadly i was dissapointed with em, but i still kept care of them, and one day want to persue them once again

also to answer a question that no one will remeber :p

i belive piranaha fury is named "Fury" is because when feed live food and the scent of blood is in the water piranaha(at least mine) went Nuckin Futs :p

Jan 23, 2005
Saint Robert Mo
Visit site
hehe i loved my pirhanas when i had them i only had 3 of them in a 10gal it was great i loved there eating habits and they were quite cheap to feed compaired to walmarts and pet stores wardleys protein feed bleh like 10 bucks when i could get a dozen minnows from the bass pro shop for a $1. and they would start at the tails and eat all the way to the head and leave the head and there would be a buncha minnow heads in my tank was awesome if ur into grutesome killing hehehe. all i ever fed them was minnows and comet goldfish and on ocasion i`d spend 10 dollars on a nice fish for them to chew on for a while like a big old fat goldfish takem about 15 minutes to git-r-done. that`s when they was bigger about 4-5 inchs and about 1/2 inch thick.
i`d have pirhans right now but i can`t find them in the pet store here that i go to. she could order them for me but she wants me to pay shipping and stuff. i`ll wait till she gets more on her own hehe.

TIGER9

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
indiana
im the person who started this thread, and yep im still here. alive n kickin. i know alot of people read the first few posts and try to figure out why it was stickied. but once u get a to the second page n beyond ull find alot of good piranha-specific info. *PEACE!*