new here, yep im a piranha freak

TIGER9

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
indiana
i just came to the board today. thought id introduce myself. ive been raising piranha for 6yrs. mostly reds. heres a list of my current specimens.
75g. w/ 1 s. spilopleura cf
55g. w/ 4 p. nattereri
55g. w/ 1 juvi. s. rhombeus

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
hey how are you Tiger? we dont get many piranha freaks 'round here, but we do have a few.

interesting fish they are, but ONLY if they are kept properly.....as i am sure you already know :)

you have any pics of them?

they are another one of those "fish i wish i have done" kind of thing for me.

i am sure you are aware of www.piranha-fury.com as a great site, but if not there it is.

TIGER9

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
indiana
managuense - i do have pics, its a seperate thread that was moved to this forum, look around n ull see it. n yes, im WELL aware of p-fury. been a long time member of that site. u got any pics of that lutino oscar? love to see him

Jul 16, 2003
WI
Visit site
Originally posted by Managuense
hey how are you Tiger? we dont get many piranha freaks 'round here, but we do have a few.

interesting fish they are, but ONLY if they are kept properly.....as i am sure you already know :)

you have any pics of them?

they are another one of those "fish i wish i have done" kind of thing for me.

i am sure you are aware of www.piranha-fury.com as a great site, but if not there it is.
Hey thanks for the plug managuense :D

What's a "Lutino" oscar? pardon my ignorance.

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
a lutino is simply a color strain of oscars much like "pink" convicts.

they are not a TRUE albino, but they have an overall "white" or "pinkish" appearance to them.

pretty fish. :)

oh, i always give props to piranha-fury, that is a great site....interactive species map, great forum, etc.

i just have never kept them myself.

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
I wonder what the attraction of piranha is - I mean, every time I see them they are sitting motionless in the water looking ugly! :)

Each very much to his own I know but I can't believe the joy of keeping piranha is limited to watching them eat.

(Edit - just visited Piranha-Fury for the first time to see if I could make out what the attraction is. The place is oozing machismo and immaturity- so are these predators just another boy's toy?)

Last edited:

TIGER9

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
indiana
-taffy- u just spit the largest load of garbage ive heard in awhile. my obbsesion w/ piranha has nothing to do with their feeding habits. u wonder how anyone could be into such an ugly, boring fish? look at the list on ur signature and answer the question urself. and u apparently didnt wander to far into piranha-fury, or u would have found how that its probably one of the better sites on the net. besides all this, if u cant think of anything nice to say. say nothing at all, please.

Jul 16, 2003
WI
Visit site
Originally posted by TaffyFish
I wonder what the attraction of piranha is - I mean, every time I see them they are sitting motionless in the water looking ugly! :)

Each very much to his own I know but I can't believe the joy of keeping piranha is limited to watching them eat.

(Edit - just visited Piranha-Fury for the first time to see if I could make out what the attraction is. The place is oozing machismo and immaturity- so are these predators just another boy's toy?)
Hey, it's ok. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Yes, PFury is loaded with 20 something year olds full of "machoism" living vicariously through their fish. On the other hand, there is alot of people like me who have kept all the rest and are, or were, looking for something off the beaten path. Piranhas are no more of a "boys toy" than any of the big "mean" central and south american cichlids.
Just because you don't understand it, or are not interested in it, or both, don't knock it!
*celebrate

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
TIGER9 - I don't think I was trolling, I was genuinely interested to know and learn. Your answer was both revealing and, sadly, confirmatory.

Piranhaman! - thanks for that but please read my post again and understand that I wasn't seeking to post an opinion but pose a question. What I stated were observations, I didn't set out to knock it, but the overly defensive responses seem to indicate a raw nerve. Suffice to say that I didn't get the kind of answer that I was hoping for.

Jul 16, 2003
WI
Visit site
The place is oozing machismo and immaturity- so are these predators just another boy's toy?)
This is the statement by you I am defending. I'm not getting flamatory, really. It's fine. I'm not here to convert anyone to piranhas. To tell you the truth, I like the small following they have. ;)

Peace *PEACE!*

TIGER9

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
indiana
ur right taffy it is a raw nerve for me. no matter where i go with the exception of piranha-fury and predatoryfish, people are ALWAYS knocking piranha. i try to share my experiences with this truly regal animal and im shunned. because theyre "mean, viscious, evil, ugly, nasty". im sure this sounds familiar to piranhaman. u post that they are ugly and boring, then expect me to answer ur questions? why should i bother? thats like spitting in my face then asking for a dollar. lets face it no matter how i answered ur opinion of piranha and their owners would have been EXACTLY the same. and thats fine, u keep ur beliefs, and ill keep mine.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
take it easy guys.i can see both sides of this argument.lord knows someone told me catfish were dumb and ugly i'd jump all over that statement,but at the same time,i AM NOT POINTING FINGERS because it doesn't apply to anyone in this thread but i have met a lot of the pirhana machismo set and they don't make a very convincing argument to keep pirhana.on the other hand i would love a big ole tank to keep a school of pirhana because they can be quite stunning when displayed properly and not in some cheese tank that freaks the fish out.pirhana in the proper enviroment are just as good as any other oddball fish that has a dedicated following.at any rate take it easy guys it's only fish.

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm cool with Piranhaman!'s response, he's clearly level-headed and considered. I guess catfishmike's oddball point is the one to take on board.

What I do find hugely amusing is the inverted snobbery amongst the piranha keepers. You read how TIGER9 gets so upset when people say his fish are ugly (beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all), yet if you go to piranha-fury you can see for yourself that the most active posting or thread is the one about which piranha is the most ugly! Keepers of piranha themselves take this lack of aesthetic appeal and turn it into an endearing trait, so why be so defensive and chippy about it when other fishkeepers make the same observation? there's a clear double standard there.

TIGER9

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
indiana
sorry, but ive never seen a "which piranha is ugliest?" thread on p-fury.
Keepers of piranha themselves take this lack of aesthetic appeal and turn it into an endearing trait
i dont know any good piranha-owners who have this point of view. i believe piranha are just as beautiful and majestic as any angelfish, betta, clownfish, or tang. uve obviously never seen a school of piranha in sunlight. absolutely magnificent.