New goldfish, male or female? or too young to confirm? + Changes in tank :D

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
YouTube - Red and white goldfish , male or female?

So this is the new goldfish i have in tank, i still cant confirm is it male or female. can you guys/gals please check that youtube vid and confirm?

PS:- if you have checked my older posts, you can notice changes in tank.

* i have removed the wallpaper in background, so now if turn off bubbles and powerheads, the water is crystal clear and it looks as if the goldfish are floating in air, seriously. so i will surely not keep it like this and put black background.

* I now have huge submersible filter, it has 3 settings to speed up etc. its on lowest setting and will be there for a month, then i will remove this old small boyu filter and probably put it in another tank which i will have in middle of jan.

* Yea, i added some wisteria too but had to remove one bunch and put it in small bowl to see if can get more eggs from it, and i think it helped. you might have seen it in my 'eggs in tank' post.

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India

yes he is cool, but because he is stubby and short tail-fins, he can zip through water compared to the two fantails and the male gets annoyed at him it seems, all are playing nice with each other all the time but just that i see he stresses them once in a while when he burst into energy (when i do partial water change or feed them dried bloodworms etc.). otherwise nice fish .

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
Alright. I have now confirmed about this fish.

He is Wukin (or Jikin i.e special Japanese breed) And he is MALE .

He was chasing orangina with male like behaviour, I.E , he kept nudging orangina while feeding , he nudge her right between her tail fins, near anus and when she started to swim away, he would keep his head right under her belly and swim with her..like shadow swimming with her. after some tries he left her alone.

So if my Fantail orangina and this wukin breed.... wondering what will i call them. Fakin ? WuFanClan ? :D or just replace the W in Wukin with F?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you can call him Wookie

Anyway, i don't really thing that restricts the goldfish o being a male...my female goldfish does the dame behavior to my FEMALE SWORDTAIL (i know totally diff species) and only during feeding. This I believe is just simple the general goldfish agressive response to other fish that are taking "their" food. you see goldfish are very selfish creatures.
Their motto is "If I can't swallow that piece of food yet because my mouth is full, i wont let anybody else touch that food until i get my mouth free"

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
congrads on having more space in your tank :D you're now back to 155% overstocked !
don't worry you're not that far ahead, my 40 gallon is 143% overstocked -_-

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
aahahahaha dusty123 common 300% ? lolz. i am planting the hell out of my fishtank so the fish bioload overload is absorbed processed by plants/moss etc.

Edit: ah that dusty with bigfin friends . lolz. it will be nice to follow your journal , hope you bust out some myths :D

Last edited: