new fish

Feb 22, 2003
Rhode island...on a island
just got a firgure 8 puffer fish today i know it has not even been 1 hour but the dude at my lfs says he last fed him 12 hours ago so i threw in blood worms and tubifex wormcubes he did not eat either so i threw iin a live earth worm and he tore it to pieces in seconds im wounrding if hes picky or does it have to eat 100% live food?? cause i looked up[ alot of info and it says frozen and freez dried food would be ok like shrimp/bloodworms etc but im just woundering if i should be worried or not?:confused: :eek:

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
Heh if you want some of those freshwater snails luvmygobies mentioned, I could mail you about 2 dozen of the fecking things! I'm in the midst of a futile battle to rid my 10gal tank of them. They breed like damned rabbits! But I don't think they do well in salty Brackish water (evil grin) so I've been tossing them in my Brackish tank.

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
my puffer didnt eat anything until i tossed in some live brine shrimp, so far ive gotten him to eat that, freeze dried baby shrimp, and im about to feed him some snails. i think there the same ones mentioned because i got about ten from a friend about a week ago and now theres about thirty in the bin.(hahahahahahaaa...crunch,crunch!)

v3x10e8

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Considering your puffer is a new addition, it probably takes sometime for him to get use to and start to eating normally. My polypterus senegalus wasn't eating anything but fresh shimp for the first week. Now he loves shimp pallets.