New filter info

Jan 11, 2012
I just purchased a new fluval canister filter for my 55g tank and from what ive read i should keep the old one running for a little while until the benefical bacteria to build up in the new filter which makes sense to me. But my problem is that I have high ammonia levels in this tank right now and i was wondering if that will affect beneficial bacteria from forming in my new filter. All other parameters are normal, I just cant seem to get the ammonia under control. Tank is planted and has about 8 fish in it. any advice would help. thanks

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
The beneficial bacteria breaks down ammonia, so no it won't stop it from growing in the new filter. Just leave tbthes new filter in there for a month or two and it might actually help.

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
If you have ammonia your tank is not cycled yet or something is making its cycle break and keep starting over. If you have ammonia with no nitrite or nitrate this would mean you have no beneficial bacteria. Usually in a planted tank the plants will take up the ammonia. What size tank and what fish and plants do you have? Also so you have readings of your water test parameters?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Also, do more frequent water changes that change more of the water to try to get the ammonia under control. What is your stocking like? Was the tank cycled when you added the fish? What's your water change schedule like?
I had my water go ask crazy on me over the summer while I was sick and my wide didn't do the water changes. All the ammonia and nitrates built up. It took me changing about 40% of the water every other day for a solid 2 weeks before I got it back under control. A new filter is great, but don't slack on the water changes ;)

djm761

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2011
My guess is your old filter is a hang on the back, if the cartridges are clogging up they wont be very efficient removing ammonia, but your plan is correct leave them in till your tank is cycled, lower the water temp and cut back on feeding until cycling is complete