New discus - color

Dec 20, 2007
Hi all,
I just bought 2 new discus and would like to know if they were being threathen when i keep them to the new tank? One of the discuss looks pale (color is not so shine and sharp).

Can I know how soon shall i feed them?

Thank you!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Discus can be very shy at first. You can feed them daily, but only a little in case they're not eating (you don't want to foul the water). The paleness is most likely from fear, but you should check your water in case there is an ammonia or nitrate problem.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Like lotus said discus are very shy fish. At least yours are not pitch black dark. The paleness is possibly just the stress from being in a new tank. Hopefully its a cycled tank.

I'd keep the light off for a while and start feeding them possibly a day after purchase. Some will eat as soon as you get them. Just be sure to clean the tank of extra food if they don't eat it.

Dec 20, 2007
Thanks Lotus, skratikans and Cichlid-Man.
My discus color is turn to normal now. But they still very shy. They tend to hide under the wood when i turn on the light. Just wondering how long they will get use to the new environment and start enjoying their new home..

My new discus have been staying in my tank for about 4 days now. They actually able to eat and no problem on that. Just that they like to hide when I turn on the aquarium light.

I really wish to see them swim around instead of hiding under the wood or rock.

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
Mine are the exact same way. Its been almost half a year and there has been no progression. I tried putting some cardinal tetras in there and it did not work. The water parameters are prestine and they still will not come out.

I tried feeding everything but they are afraid to eat in front of me so I bought sinking food to make sure they ate in private. They are such beautiful fish but its a shame they are so shy.