New Betta Care Page!

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
I find a few flaws into that guide. I find that bettas do best in no to very low current. I even disconected the filter on Cotton's tank. Of course I did more water changes then usual but he is very healthy.

I find 5 pellets is a bit on the much for bettas. I feed my 4 boys 3-4 pellets a day. Even the hikari packet says so.

Also one last thing, males don't blow bubblenests because there happy, They blow them because they are ready to breed.

I like it. Few flaws but it works. Maybe you could go into detail about the diferent types of bettas.

Aug 19, 2009
hate to nit pick, but they need a tank that is 2.5 or larger as well. the gallon tanks shorten their life span from the 3-5 years they normal range in.

I disagree with the previous statement on food. The only time you should only feed them once a day is if he is in a really small container and you don't want the ammonia levels to build up. Most recommend 2-3 a day with small amounts of food.

here are some really good care sheets to go by.
Betta Caresheet - UltimateBettas

Betta Care Sheet - UltimateBettas

When it comes to bettas though, I've noticed everyone seems to have a different way of taking care of them, with very few agreeable rules. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Personally I love it when a betta has enough room to move around, in say a 5 gallon tank. that is the best minimum if you want a long life span, because it gives him room to move, which helps prevent the number one killer of bettas, fatty liver deposits.

Jan 31, 2009
Near LA
It looks good, but I have one suggestion for tankmates. My betta is very aggressive to anything smaller than him, so he has an entire 10g tank to himself after killing several rasboras. You might want to add that certain bettas are not suited for community tanks due to their personalities.
I think feeding varies depending on the betta. I used to feed mine twice a day, but he started getting really fat so I cut back to once a day, alternating between a few small bloodworms and 3-4 pellets.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Bob- I mention several times in the "housing" section that bettas do not do well with lots of filtration, although it is necessary to have some type of light filtration in their tanks.

Blackrosedragon - Never heard of a betta living up to 5 years, 2-3 years seems to be the standard, although some might live longer with excellent care. Once a day feeding is fine, yes, most fish food companies recommend multiple feedings a day, for obvious reasons. A betta will be perfectly happy in a 1 gallon filtered, heated tank if it meets their needs, obviously a 2.5 is better if it also meets their needs, they aren't huge swimmers so really don't need a lot of swimming room.

Greendragon (what's with all the dragons?!) - That is a good point, I thought I made it pretty clear that tankmates depends on the betta and some aren't suitable for community settings at all, I will edit.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!