new *baby* turtle

Apr 17, 2008
So i bought a baby turtle here in olando, FL on vaction off a vender on the highway and it was 15$ which i thought was resonableand it came with food and it was a yellow belly turtle only 5 days old! and i was wondering how to make a good diet and a good habitat tank? because when i get back home illinois i want to make a good 10 gal turtle tank oh yea btw how big do yellow bellys get? i want to try to keep him small like that :)

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Here's a couple quick links I found

Turtles:   Yellow belly slider

Care Sheet - Yellow-Bllied Slider

We had a red-eared slider years ago and that sucker was a lot of trouble to keep. The most messy critter I had ever seen to keep in a tank. A 10 gallon isn't going to do it very well for long. And trying to keep it small is not going to be good for the turtles health. Just like fish, because the carapace isn't growing doesn't mean that the internal organs will stop growing. That will greatly shorten the life span of the turtle and cause many health problems.

I liked the one we had, but I felt that he was to much trouble than I wanted to put into it because we had no place to put him outside. I'll never have one again unless I can have a nice pond to put them in. Not only are they messy, but trying to keep up with shell health was a large undertaking, because when we got him, he was in bad shape.

Good luck. They need lots of care and attention. Makes keeping fish seem like childs play. lol

pauline

New Fish
Jun 5, 2009
glasgow
hi i know its been a while since you posted ur message, but how did u get on with the turtle as i recently got 2 yellow belly turtles that are about 11 wks old any suggestions etc for me? :)