New 45 Gallon Journal!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Stueyandspike said:
when Nitrate and Nitrite are at or around 0 there isnt much ammonia if any. Please correct me if im wrong.
You mentioned that your nitrAtes are 10 PPM and nitrItes are 0.25 PPM. Typically I consider a tank to be just about cycled with these ^^^ very same levels that you noted earlier. Ammonia is typically at 0 PPM at this stage, and nitrItes are on the verge of disappearing altogether. In sum, yes, it is probably fairly safe to assume that ammonia is 0 PPM at this point.

BUT, having an ammonia test reading will take a lot of the guesswork out of the equation and would probably allow you to move quicker with adding fish. Without ammonia test kit results, this is what I'd do to be on the 'safe' side:
I wouldn't go adding the rasboras just yet. Certainly do not add angelfish until last; once the rasboras have been in for a few weeks, minimum. In your particular situation, I'd move the 3 serpae tetras from your 29 gal. tank into this one to help climb the final hump toward getting the tank fully-cycled. Keep them in for a week or so, and then replace them with 6 rasboras (or whatever schooling fish you decide on). A week after that you can then add about 6 more (or whatever number it takes to round out your school). After a couple more weeks it would then be fairly safe to add the angelfish.

Might sound like a lot of waiting around to add fish, but it's my understanding that harlequin rasboras should not be added to a cycling tank, and I know for a fact that angelfish most definitely should not be added until the tank is somewhat 'established' for at least a few weeks. Good luck!

BV

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
but it's my understanding that harlequin rasboras should not be added to a cycling tank
Exactly why I asked about the ammonia results, The Rasboras that I have, have been quite hardy, however I have read multiple times that they can be a fragile species, and I didn't add mine to a cycling tank.

I agree that if your readings are correct, the ammonia level is probably nil.

BV has certainly got you on the right path, but I'd definitely invest in a ammonia test kit as well.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I like your tank- it will look really good once those bottom plants start filling out. I am sorry though- I can't help you with your stocking question. I do not know anything about angels.

Jan 22, 2007
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Well after some time, My tank fully cycled, i got some harlequin rasboras im up to 10 now ( they really enjoy playing in the filter current). They are very sweet and active. I think they have a nice tank to live in. Check it out!!

Look at that Java Moss!!!

Happy Fish!

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
Looking good! Your plants are really starting to take off!

Can't wait to see it fill in over time and some angels in there :) What kind of angels are you thinking of getting? I love all the different colors they come in :)

Jan 22, 2007
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Yeah, my LFS usally only has black and white Angels, It seems my only real choice as a bottom level fish is a cory, im not really feeling that, I was hoping Ottos but my LSF never gets them. I just added a DIY CO2 so I hope my plants in back grow higher.

Jan 22, 2007
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Well its been a long time....I lost 2 rasboas and my java moss due to algea. I got some micro sword that I havent planted yet but it looks ok. I took a vid of it you can check it out at youtube. The angels have gotten big. Check it.

YouTube - 45 Gallon Planted

You can see they are camera friendly :) they love the attention. I need something to keep my bottom clean.. I could use some suggestions. Also i wanna make a small cave or something like that for fish to go into.

Last edited:
I suggest Hillstream Loaches, also sold under Butterfly Pleco, Stingray Pleco, and Butterfly Loach. I have had a good experience with them so far
They get to about 3 inches, and enjoy algae, algae wafers, flake food, and bottom feeder pellets. During the day, they will either hide underneath things in the tank, or on the glass. They enjoy round, smooth rocks. Mine seem to enjoy shifting the substrate a but and looking for blackworms.

[EDIT] Here is a picture of a Hillstream Loach

Other then Hillstream Loaches, I suggest Cory Cat. Easy to find, and they are cute too!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2007
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Hey guys its been about 3 years since there was a post in this topic, Sorry I couldnt keep it going, at the time I was finishing up high school and was getting ready for college. I had to make the decision to take down my tanks because of college. I am going to school 3 hours away from home and knew my mom couldnt take care of the fish. I ended up selling all my fish back to the fish store for $15 :( Im thinking about getting back into it this summer because next year I will be living off campus in a house where I can keep my fish. Ill be lurking around this forum again looking for ideas and gaining more knowledge, PM me if you have any questions. If you wondering the plants really took off and I had to do nearly weekly trimmings to keep the tank looking nice. All the fish were really happy and they got pretty big too. Im back!