New 45 Gallon Journal!

Jan 22, 2007
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
I recently went to Petco to simply look around, I was looking at fish then noticed this promotion. I read the sign and saw it was $1 per gallon. I looked around and found a 45 gallon, I couldn't resist. I bought the tank home.

I then noticed that I needed a stand, I looked around and saw in DIY Maha's tank and canopy, so I used them. I figured it was alot cheaper then buying a stand from the store and as an added plus its more sturdy.

I then noticed that I need lighting, So I looked at Maha's Canopy it looked pretty easy and not as expensive as buying custom $200 lighting. I used Compact Floecent bulbs, as in the picture below. It turned out nicely.

My Lights.

So I got them all built and put them together and they looked nice. Im going planted in this tank. I have 112 Wats of light for 2.3 WPG. For my Substrate its 2/3 Schultz Aquatic Soil (SAS) and 1/3 Plain Natural Gravel. I got a Aqua-tech 30-60 Filter and a 200W Wisper Heater.

I started adding the SAS and Gravel and this is what it looks like now.

Here is what it looks like all set up for today. Its 10 PM, my bed time.

Any comments would be cool, Im plaining to get a black background. Thanks, Stuey

raduque

Small Fish
Jul 27, 2007
Hey, that looks nice. I like the DIY canopy. I think I might do something similar, I wonder if I'll have enough MDF from taking apart an old subbox.

Jan 22, 2007
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Wow, that's nice work!! Great Job!! *thumbsups Are you going to stain the stand/canopy darker or leave it more "natural" looking as it is now?
Im going to leave it natural because I think it looks really NICE!!

That's going to look great when you get some plants in it (and fish ).
Yes I hope so, I have Java Moss, Vals Sparlis, and Pigmy Chain Sword comming soon. I have some drift wood that im going to put in the tank today, ill get pictures later. Im going to probably put a few Angel fish as my center piece and put other fish in accourding to my angels.

Jan 22, 2007
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
UPDATE! 9-15-07

The plants are starting to take off and the vals sparlis is starting to Grow!!

Sorry its kinda blurry.

Before.

It may not seem like much, but its a big improvement. I even see some small growth on the Java Moss. Im thinking about angels in there, what would go well with angels??

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2007
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
The branch is partually wedged in there I found it like 30 feet from the shore of our river. So im guessing its pretty old. I want to get a fish or two for it, not sure if its ready or not. What would go with angels, and do you think 4 angels would be too much? its a 45 Tall.

sdivell

Medium Fish
Jul 20, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
to find out if your tank is ready for fish you need to go out and purchase some water testing kits. the 3 you need for sure are:
Ammonia
NitrITE
NitrATE

if you haven't been feeding your tank and sources of pure ammonia then it wont be starting to cycle yet. I would suggest reading on this forum the threads regarding "Fishless Cycle" and even doing a google search about it.

hope this helps

Jan 22, 2007
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
UPDATE!!!!! 9/20/07 Today I had the day off of school so I did alittle tank work. There was no background so I took a black plastic bag and taped it to the back of the tank. It looks decent. I also transferd my Amazon Sword to my 45 Gallon were it will fit better. The plants are growing but I now have some kind of algae, it looks like hair algae. I also got a test kit and my parameters are :
Nitrate: 10 PPM
Nitrite: .25 PPM
Hardness: 75 PPM (soft)
Alkalinity: 80 PPM
Ph: 7.2

Pictures!!!!!

Am I ready for fish?? It seems this way. Any suggestions for stocking around Angelfish???