New 10 gal Nano

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
This is my recent addition to my arsenal of tanks, hehe. Started it on a whim with some old supplies and a few new ones. Right now it has around 12 lbs. of premium Fiji live rock, 16 lbs. live sand, a host of snails and crabs, and a cleaner shrimp. I recently added a Button Polyp colony, a Star Polyp colony, and some mushrooms. I have it with 9.6 wpg 50/50 (10,000K/actinic) and a powerhead with a spray bar for water movement.

I've got one question and that's what is this type of coral that's growing on my live rock, it suddenly appeared one day.

The overall tank

Cleaner shrimp

Mushrooms

Star Polyps

Button Polyp Colony

Now, for anyone who knows, I found this growing on my live rock. It suddenly appeared one day. Anyone have any idea what this may be?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
very nice. curious did you get you livestock rocks from another tank of yours that you already had or did you purchase them special for this tank. And I need to get some real light on my tank, mind sharing what type of lighting your using on your nano that gives you that much wpg.

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's Power Compact (PC), the bulb is a quad 96W 50/50 10K/actinic. I figured I rather have more wattage than less in the tank, since I could always have it filtered to reduce some, but I haven't noted any problems yet!

As for the live rock, I purchased a nice piece from the LFS. They usually have a big selection. The have varying types including Tonga branch/shelf, Fiji, and Caribbean. Then they have different types of each, being regular ($5.99), premium ($6.99), or super premium ($10.99/lb). The difference mainly is the amount of coraline algae, sponges, or corals. The super premium has a load of various life on it, usually including some coral and sponges. The premium rock might not have any big corals or sponges, but small growths of it. Just a few days ago some interesting coral popped out of nowhere!

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I am new to SW, so please don't quote me on anything, but as far as I am aware, Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp often set up and maintain platforms which serve as fish cleaning stations. I haven't noticed a tendancy for them to set up thier platforms on vertical rock faces, but perhaps it makes the fish to be cleaned a little more accessible? Just an idea.

Sweet looking initial setup btw....and to think my LFS tried to tell me that even a 30G was too small for SW. :rolleyes:

Can't help with the ID.

Last edited:

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
Since then I've added a Red Brain, red/green Blastos, and a rainbow Acanthastrea echinata. *BOUNCINGS oh, and a clown along with my hermits and snails.

Also that unknown thing that popped out I discovered was an aptasia. One day I just found it in a new location. I blasted it with an injection of hot vinegar which seemed to do the trick.

New Tank Pic

Red Brain

Red/Green Blastomussa

and Rainbow Echinata

Last edited:

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
The only reason I had mentioned 9.6 is just to let you know how much, I'm not using it as a gauge or anything. It was the 96W Coralife 50/50 fixture, which is a great one.

Metal halides aren't the only way... they in fact, can be damaging to some sensitive corals and burn them up.

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
I have had some changes to this tank, I am probably at the max amount of coral I'd put in it. I have a whole bunch of mushrooms (producing some new ones), star polyps (spreading like crazy), button polyps (slow growth), anthelia (rapidly growing), blastomussa merleti and wellsi, and two acanthastreas. I'll post a new pic once I clean the tank up a bit. Damn coralline growing everywhere and all sorts of macroalgaes galore! :)