nerite snails on their backs - losing their grip?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Okay, for several weeks now I have been finding my nerite snails on their backs. I turn them over, and off they go. I haven't noticed any fish pecking at them while the snails are cruising around, and none trying to eat them while they lay on the backs - so I don't think they are being 'pushed'.
So, are my snails losing a grip? Are they trying to jump, lol? It's weird - it seems to be almost daily that I am finding at least one of them like this . . . .

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
I vote that they climb the glass then detach and fall and wind up on there backs. Mine never did it (he died to fast) but my Gold Mystery snail used to do that but he would turn hiself back over because he was capable of doing so while Nerites are not. hope i helped :D

Jan 15, 2011
MN
i don't know if they sleep or not but at different times i will find mine shelled up on the bottom, but then i will look later and they have flipped themselves over and are cruising around just fine

Feb 27, 2009
my Gold Mystery snail used to do that but he would turn hiself back over because he was capable of doing so while Nerites are not.
All snails are capable of righting themselves. Not sure where you learned that Nerites cannot turn themselves back upright, but they can.

In trying to determine gender of Nerites, its helpful to turn them over and observe the shape of the opening (some will pay extra to get males only so they don't have a bunch of eggs being laid in a planted tank). They flip themselves back over while trying to look, both out of water or underwater.

Laura - As for your snails being found on their backs a lot...it MAY be that they've been knocked down by a fish or by 'chasing' each other in a mating ritual. Saltwater snails to that A LOT and after landing on the sand, they often wait several minutes before trying to turn back over. I notice that they are quicker to flip over if there are preditors that could munch on them around, and slower if they feel 'safe.' It takes a lot of energy to flip back over.

Last edited:

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Well, this behaviour started when I added two new nerites, so perhaps they are mating with the old ones. There seems to be one snail in particular that I always find lying on its back. Over the course of several hours, it never seems to right itself - should I just leave it???
Ummm, I also have next to zero algae. Could they be hungry???

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
I put in spinach or zucchini 2x week for my pleco, but have never seen the snails go near the vegetables - perhaps scared off by the other fish that come in to nibble??? I could put the snails in a breeder net with their own slice of zucchini so they get a chance to eat . . . .

Feb 27, 2009
I've put food for 'slower' feeders inside of a small piece of PVC pipe. If you can provide something hollow that the pleco can't fit into, they may discover that they like veggies/wafers. The 'breeding net' is a good idea too.