Neon Tetras Spawning

kittledee

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2015
Hi everyone, After many failed attempts, I have finally been able to breed my neon tetras! This morning I saw them spawning and I saw the female drop her eggs!! Had I not seen the eggs falling down to the bottom of the tank, I would have never known because they are so tiny. Here's my question, I know I need to take the parents out of the tank after spawning because they will eat the eggs. How do I know when they're done spawning? Because this was so difficult, I don't want to take them out too soon? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
wow! that's awesome.

how big is the tank? would love to hear how you got them to spawn and what things you tried that work and didn't work.

is there some kind of netting/divider you could rig up to separate them temporarily? i just think of those guppy breeding floating tanks but you can't really use them with tetras.

kittledee

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2015
wow! that's awesome.

how big is the tank? would love to hear how you got them to spawn and what things you tried that work and didn't work.

is there some kind of netting/divider you could rig up to separate them temporarily? i just think of those guppy breeding floating tanks but you can't really use them with tetras.

Hi, Thanks! I thought it was awesome too!! :) Well I hope I can answer your questions- I have a 40 gallon tank that's a community tank and a 10 gallon tank that I call "the baby tank". I have guppies and platys and so I have babies on a regular basis. I scoop them up from the main tank and put them in the baby tank which I keep up and running. I leave them in there until they are big enough to to go into the main tank without being eaten. So I had a 10 gallon tank with gravel a few live plants and seasoned water. The method that finally worked was this one. I put them in the baby tank ( one male and one very round female) last Saturday morning. Oh an I keep the water warm- around 76-78) that afternoon, I put a towel over the tank blocking out light and left them alone. Yesterday morning, I uncovered them turned on the light and fed them. Then me and my coffee sat and watched. They didn't eat as much as usual, but seemed more interested in chasing each other around. So I was hopeful and kept watching. They kept chasing each other and going in very close circles around each other and I had seen tetras spawn on UTube so I knew this was a good sign. At one point I saw the eggs drop down to the gravel. They were smaller than a grain of sand, but I definitely saw them drop down. Yea!!! That made my morning! So then I turned the light off and put the towel over the top and sides of the tank leaving the front open. I left them in there for about half an hour or so after that cuz it looked like they might spawn some more and I wanted all the eggs I could get. When they seemed to lose interest,I took them out, put them back in the main tank and covered the front of the baby tank. So now it's completely covered. In a couple days I'll gradually uncover the tank and let in a little indirect light. I'm hoping the babies hatch. This is my first time that I know I have neon eggs and I'm reading everything I can online and using a little common sense and gut feeling and hoping for the best! I'll let you know in a few days if they made it this far. If you want to know what didn't work, I can send you that info too. I didn't want to write a book here and bore everyone who reads this.. Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted!