Need opinions on my Cycle

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ok guys youve seen my numbers for the last month so now Im wondering about this Nitrite spike. My ammonia is still at 5ppm and nitrite is 0.25 and nitrates are at 10ppm. I cut back the ammonia when I got the nitrite reading. The nitrite reading of .25 has stayed constant for a week now.When should I get this spike they talk about it?

R

ronrca

Hmm! It is usually! Maybe the nitrite bacteria are keeping up with the cycle as shown by nitrate readings. Do you still get ammonia readings? How long do you wait to take measurements after adding ammonia? Have you done a water change yet?

madpad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
check 24 hours after ammonia addition, then add ammonia. Havent touched the filter or gravel and have not done any water changes. I assumed you waited for the water change at the end of cycle.Wheres my nitrite spike?

R

ronrca

Actually, my nitrites spiked and would not come down so I did a water change and it worked. I think that I was adding too much ammonia. My nitrates spiked along with nitrites and stayed that way for over a week. Like I mentioned before, maybe the nitrite bacteria are keeping up with the cycle. What you can try to do is add a less or more ammonia, skip a time, or something. I have heard of times where nothing happens until do something differently. Give it a try a couple of times. I would do a water change. It would not hurt. It would at least bring down the nitrates.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I would suggest increasing the ammonia. I dont know why your levels would be where they are.

You would either have a nitIte spike, a lot of ammonia, or a lot of nitrAtes. You have to increase the ammonia so your nitItes spike, which I would have thought should have happened. Guess small NitItes are better than no nitItes at this point.

I wouldn't do a water change...keep going!!