Need help keeping aquatic dwarf frogs alive!

Jan 6, 2009
We currently have two tanks set up. One is a six-gallon with four neon tetras. The other is a ten-gallon that only has four zebra danios in it right now.

I really enjoy the dwarf frogs, but we can't seem to keep them alive. We bought our first one when I knew next to nothing about aquariums. I put him in our six-gallon tank with the neons. He lived for several weeks, then died. I assumed at the time that it was because the tank hadn't been properly cycled. Fast-forward several weeks, and this time we've done everything right. The ten-gallon tank has been cycled and we've tested the water. Everything is cool. I buy a new frog and put it in the ten-gallon tank this time. It dies in two days. A few weeks later, I bring water samples to the pet store. Water checks out fine. I buy two zebra danios (we started with two in the 10-gallon; now we're at four) and a larger frog. He died within 24 hours.

It's worth mentioning that in this time, all other fish have remained stable and seem to be doing well.

I told the kids that if this frog died, we would be done with frogs. It seems cruel to keep buying them if they're just going to die. However, my five-year-old REALLY wants to try again. Could there be something I'm doing wrong? Something with the tank set-up? I've done tons of research, and I can't think of anything off-hand that I might be doing. The last two frogs came from Petco, and I'm suspicious now of their health to begin with (if they each died within a few days, that's most likely a pet store thing, right?). I have another fish store that I trust more, so maybe I should try them again? I've also heard that albino dwarfs are easier to keep alive, but I know they get pretty big.

If we do try again, which tank is better? The 10-gallon or the 6-gallon?

TIA!

quasi214

Small Fish
Jul 25, 2005
Hi and welcome,

I don't post often, but I read many of the threads on a pretty regular basis. There are many experienced aquarists here who I am sure will help you. I currently keep four dwarf frogs in a lightly planted 10 gallon aquarium, and I have found the most difficult aspect of keeping them is making sure they are getting properly fed. They are not very good at finding food, and they are picky about what they eat. Only one out of the four ate any leftover beta pellets that made it to the bottom of the tank. I give them one bloodworm cube every couple of days, and I watch to make sure everyone is eating. The key is to make sure that the frogs have time to find the food. Keeping them with more docile, slow-moving fish helps out a lot. I have kept mine with bettas and guppies with no problems. With faster fish like zebra danios, you may have to try different methods of getting the food to the frogs.

Maybe someone with more experience will say different, but I have found that they are not overly picky about water quality. As long as you do regular water changes, you should be fine. I have heard that if the frogs are constantly trying to get out of the aquarium or surfacing for air more than usual, it is a sign that the water quality is deteriorating, but I do not know that for sure. I am not sure why your frogs died so quickly, but I would guess that they were not properly fed before you got them. Try to find ones that have fat bellies, and ask the store employees to feed them if at all possible. They are really fun and fascinating creatures if you can meet their more demanding food requirements.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
i have to agree with the difficulty of feeding, and how mixing the frogs with fast moving fish can be problematic. Your water perameters are prob fine, just have to find a way to make sure the suckers get food

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
My first tank came with a frog and I was scared to death that he wasn't getting food. I read that they ate blood worms and you needed to put the worms right in front of their face with tongs. Let me tell you how dumb I looked trying to do that!! I finally gave up and hoped for the best. It has been nearly a year and he is doing fine. I know that is not the best advise, but its all I got.

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I have had the same problem. I have had many ADFs over the years and I never used to have a problem. I haven't changed the type of fish I keep, or anything else about the tank, so I don't understand why I suddenly have problems!

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
Don't give up on the ADF's!!!

First, You're right, Petco is not the place to go, nor is any other large chain (Petsmart, Walmart, etc.) Go to a store that has their fish in individual tanks; meaning, they have a bunch of tanks set up, each with some fish in them that get along well. Not that this particularly matters in the case of ADF's because frogs can't catch or share disease with fish (that's why your fish are fine). The seperate tanks will be more of a sign that the owners are more aware of disease and more careful about keeping their stock healthy. Secondly, frogs that float (especially for extended periods of time) are sick and will die within a few days. Don't pick those ;).

Now, your tank; are you heating the tank? ADF's like tropical temps (74-86) and aren't oo big on strong water currents. They are very timid and passive and love hiding places. If any one of these elements are missing, it can cause the frog to withdrawl- for ex.- if the tank temp is too low, they go into hibernation mode and don't eat; if the tankmates are intimidating to them (Danios should be okay, I have two Zebras and two Pearls in with mine; Neons on the other hand may end up dinner if they're small enough), then they hide and may starve, and if there's no place to hide (plants, terrecota pots turned to the side, driftwood, caves, etc), then they tend to not be as active. Also, they love buddies, but with a 10g, I would only suggest 1 or at the most, 2 more. They are also sensitive to ammonia content, so continue monitoring your levels. I posted pics of my tanks in the "Photography" Forum. I think it's titled, "That's Better!" It may give you ideas of a tank set up with ADF's in mind (unless you're good to go in that department :D).

Food; I feed my frogs what my other fish eat- San made by Sera (flake food), but I also keep Guppies in the tank so that they have an extra food source. ADF's have poor eyesight, so they hunt for food mainly by smell- but don't let that fool you, when they do spot something, they are QUICK! Because ADF's are so passive and slow starting with getting to their food, the other fish may be gobbling up the food before they can find it. Hence why I keep guppies- they produce dozens of fry every six weeks, so the frogs are sure to get a good meal. Some owners perfer to set a small plate in the tank and put blood worms or minced earthworms or another popular frog food on it to help the frogs find their dinner. Others use a Turkey Baster or tweezers to manually feed their frogs. Mine are suprisingly self sufficent, so I chose not to go that route.

Oh, and there are NO such things as Albino ADF's. Those are actually African Clawed Frogs, and they will get the size of your palm and eat everyting in your tank. Plus, in many states, they are illegal. Background on that is that in the 40's, Clawed Frogs were used as a "Pregnancy Test." Putting urine on the frog from a pregnant human female would cause the frog to start laying eggs. Well, after the "test" was done, people were releasing the frogs into ditches, lakes, and other water sources, and the frogs were eating the native fish and over populating the water sources. Crazy, huh? There's another post (that's actually a Sticky) on here about ADF's if you really want to read indepth about the ADF's.

Lastly, I would encourage you, when you're ready to try again, to keep ADF's. They are one of my favorite tank inhabitants. In fact, each morning, when I greet my fish, they are the only ones to come to the glass and greet me back (granted I think it may have to do with my hair looking like tasty worms or something!) and even follow me as I move back and forth. It's a little game we like to play ;).

Hope this helps to encourage you and let us know how your venture goes!