NEED HELP Bicher w/swollen belly

May 9, 2005
NEED HELP Bichir w/swollen belly

Hello,
My name is Brandy and I very recently (Last Monday) became the proud mother of 2 orphaned Bichir's. We have become friends with a local fish store owner and she had a customer come in wanting to sell all of her aquarium equipment as well as the stock. Amoung all of it was 2 decent sized Bichir's. Given the nature of Bicher's and the State that I live in the owner of the store was not able to re-sell them so she gave us a call as we have other carnivorous fish. It was either us or the dumpster! Needless to say we took them in. Unfortunatly in the emergency situation, we had to but them in an un-established 20 gallon tank with river gravel for the subtrate, 1 live plant that they keep digging up and a big rock. I know we will need to up-size very very soon.
One of my main questions is the Senegal's belly has become progressively swollen since last Monday. I tried to attached photos but they are to large. He has been eating rosey reds and nibbled at some blood worms. We put 8 feeders in the tank and I have personally seen him eat 2 and there are 4 left. Not sure which one ate the other 2. I am concerned it could be stress related, or is he not passing the waste? We treated the tank Saturday with Maracyn-two (contains 10 mg Minocycline) which was recommended by our fish store friend. We did not do a water change since the water really isn't cycled yet. We have since followed the recommended directions.
We will be testing the water Ph, ammonia, and nitrate levels this evening to see where we stand?

Within the week they have lived with us I have grown QUITE fond of them. I would greatly appreciate any help and guidence anyone can give.

Brandy

Last edited:
May 9, 2005
OK so I am newbie to the site.....but can't anyone respond.
I have now discovered from searching elsewhere that my Bichir has dropsy....Death will soon follow. Come to find out it is a common sign? Wouldn't someone on this site know this?
I'm going back to Piranha Fury!

Hater!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Look, people not responding has nothing to do with the fact that you're a newbie. I'm sorry about your fish, but personally I didn't respond because I've never kept Bichirs and I wouldn't know the first thing to tell you. Someone on this site very well might know the answer to your question, but to say that you gave MFT a fair try after just posting something and waiting 4 hours I think you're sorely mistaken.

NOT to mention that you promised more information and the types of information that would help us rule out a lot of things...so some people were probably waiting.