Need Guppie Help

srslls

New Fish
Mar 20, 2011
My tails keep dissolving. My fish keep dying. I live in Lynnwood wager is 7.0 78 to 80 degrees. Low amonia. Some combination of Java Moss, water sprite and/or plants in bog log. I'm using a 10 gal for breeding, a 10 gal new babies, a 15 gal tall for a growing tank and a 20 gal hex with mixed adults in it now - will be a growing tank.

I have a young pair of Moscow All Black from Conway Tropical, that I really want to get going, a female Endler Live bearer who had one batch of babies a few weeks ago, which I hope will grow up and breed, maybe cross with a beautiful Cobra strain, and a group of 10 adults guppies left from about 40 I purchased at PetCo, PetsMart, Pet Pourie and Seattle Reptile and tropical fish over the last few months.

How do you do it? What are best or sucessful practices? Any suggestions? Does anyone local have killer show Guppies?

Thanks for any help, Scott

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
Hey Scott,
How long have your tanks been set up? How many fish are in each tank? What kind of filters do you have on each tank? Have you been adding anything to the water other than de-chlorinator?

How low is "low ammonia"? There shouldn't be any ammonia if your tanks are finished cycling. Do you know your readings for nitrite and nitrate?

Water changes are good for any disease or environmental stress on your fish. I'd go ahead and change water in the problem tanks while you are trying to figure out what is going on. Say a 30% water change every day until you figure it out. Clean water will help your fish's immune systems fight back and keep disease from spreading to any fish that are healthy. Be sure the new water you add is the same temperature as water you've removed and has been dechlorinated.

Keep us posted and read the responses to other peoples questions on the forum in case you see something that sounds like it pertains to your tank too. I'd start by reading some posts in the "beginner" section and the "disease" section, particularly the first posts in each category that say "sticky". Welcome to myfishtank and keep asking questions!