Need A New Hood Idea

Feb 27, 2009
Well, if my hubby can't fix my Coralife fixure (that is older than dirt), I guess I'm going to have to buy/build a new one for my 29 gallon tank. It had only 55 watts of CFL light over it, but if I'm going to have to replace it, I'll go higher light.

For now, the fixture on the 20gallon long below will be rotated between the 29 and 20long. They will 'share' the light so that each tank's plants can get proper lighting.

Anyone have any ideas on a hood design? Maybe I'll make that one from the other thread:

http://www.rcarchive.com/fish/hood/

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
Don't have my heart set on anything in particular yet. I'll likely buy another kit from AH Supply (one of their bright kits) and can build something around it.

I really liked the one made out of the PVC rain gutters (I have two fixtures made from them now, but they just sit on top of the tank, over glass tops). I like the idea of how you can lift one of the lights and get into the tank, but that was built for a 55 gallon tank. Even if I painted it black (which I would), it just looks 'clunky' for a small tank like a 29gallon. Maybe smaller diameter pipes? Dunno....I've made a few wooden canapies over the years that turned out nice.

I wish I had married an electrician who could just whip up something for me! LOL

Decisions, decisions!