neccessity

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
not sure where this belonged so I just figured diy is good enough. but anywho. I went to clean my 20 gallon tank today and for some reason I could not find my gravel vac for the life of me. I looked everywhere for it. well finally I ask my mom if she had seen it. she had, about a week ago when she tossed it in the trash. She said it looked like a random piece of junk that I made.*ALL* Well they say neccessity is the mother of invention. I made my own. how u ask? 4 words. garden hose, plastic bottle. thats it. took a garden hose and hose clamped it to the top of a plastic bottle and cut the bottom out of the bottle. it worked in a pinch and I think I'm going to keep it. no sense in buying a new one if this one works u know. and for the simple fact I don't want to toss 10 bucks into the trash again. it just aint real pretty.

So has anyone else ever had to do anyhting like this in any way shape or form?

Attachments

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Will that work for the 50g that you have, too? I suppose so.

Thats is very inventive! You just put it in and it vacuums?? Thats insane.

I'm intrigued!

How do you do it? my vacuum has to attach to the sink to work and its the only one I've ever used..... this is why i am so curious lol

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
it works like a syphon. you just create air pressure by pushing the part of his invention with the bottle in the tank up and down, creating a vacuum and it starts sucking the water out through the tube and wherever the tube ends the water falls... presto! nice invention