Native Species

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I am just looking for any other native keepers and any advice they would be willing to part with :p. If this is a repeat thread please just delete this and let me know where the other is as I can't find it.

I currently have one ~3" pumpkinseed sunfish with three little <1" minnows to keep it company. I have some Java moss thriving with some Hornwort on the way. I also have a bunch of plastic plants and some gravel and rocks. I have been feeding the minnows tropical fish flakes, but the pumkinseed, Brenda, won't eat. I tried flakes and bread- both failed. I have moved on to Cichlid pellets but she won't touch them either. She is probably sulking at being captive now so I will give her a month or so before I really worry or anything. I have a little worm growing operation too for the odd protein shock :p. She ate a little piece of worm today in no time.

I should say I *think* that the fish is a she because of her bright green shimmering colour. Pictures will be posted in a month or so.

Anyways, any suggestion on how to make him eat the pellets, or if you would suggest any other fish I could add when I get my bigger tank set up?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
UPDATE: I saw her eating some flakes out of the water today, and I think she nibbles on the cichlid pellets. She is too afraid of me still to eat in front of me yet but she does swim around now where she cowered in a corner before.

I have a light disease breakout though, and posted it in the correct area. It doesn't worry me but it does make me slightly unhappy.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i keep natives. i've kept a wide variety of natives through the years. unfortunatly, i only have one pumpkinseed and one bluegill. i am in dire need of going collecting. but finding time has been tough. i've kept central mudminnows, tesselated darters, brown bullhead, yellow perch, mumichogs, killifish, largemouth bass (bad idea), sticklebacks (another bad idea), longnsoe dace, blacknose dace, redbreasted sunfish, and some others that i cant think of right now.

what size tank do you have?

on to your questions..
chances are, your pumpkinseed is a male. the males are typically brighter in color.

i have the most sucess w/ feeding "new" fish with frozen blood worms. once they get used to feeding, i use pellets as a staple, but also circulate flake, live worms and bugs, frozen silversides, freezedried plankton and peas.

i can't suggest other fish to keep w/ him until i know the size of yoru tank. as far a bottom feeder goes, you can go w/ a brownbullhead.

what disease?

Last edited:

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I released the minnows this morning to give my Sunfish a better chance for food. Right now he is in a 12G semiplanted but it is only for another month and then he'll be in a 20G semi-planted tank.

lol I have named him Charlie, then thought it was female so she was Brenda... I guess it's back to being good old Charlie lol.

Thanks for the info- very helpful. I will have to keep my eye out for some more natives to add :).