nanoreef tank

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[shadow=Orange,direction,width]Someone answer my question! The expert or just anyone who knows!

Ryan ;D[/shadow]

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Q: Do I need a protein skimmer with this?

In a 10g, you really could go either way. I would because it will keep the frequency of water changes down, and the skimmer will keep the water quality high, allowing for a decent bio load.

Q: Do I need a filter or could I go with a powerhead?

If you go with a skimmer, I'd go with the Prizm skimmer by Red Sea Aquatics, around $70 US. Very easy to set up, and works well. No other circulation of filtration would be necessary.

Q: What exact fish do you guys suggest for me as a beginner to marine?

Two of the hardiest fish, nice and active, would make for good beginner fish are the stripped (banggai) cardinal and the ocellaris (false percula) clown.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Thank you saltater gawd. :) I know you love that title. So how does this sound? A ten gallon with hood and some flourescet lights. A protein skimmer Prizm if I can find it. Some crushed coral substrate. Some shells and one small piece of live rock? I'm still not sure about the live rock so what about it gawd? And for fish two false percula clowns. Or could I get more fish?

Ryan ;D

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=ryanp14 link=board=saltwater&num=988504001&start=15#22 date=04/30/01 at 17:11:27]
Thank you saltater gawd. :) I know you love that title. So how does this sound? A ten gallon with hood and some flourescet lights. A protein skimmer Prizm if I can find it. Some crushed coral substrate. Some shells and one small piece of live rock? I'm still not sure about the live rock so what about it gawd? And for fish two false percula clowns. Or could I get more fish?

Ryan ;D

[/quote]

Crushed coral is a pretty bad substrate, either aragonite sand, which is preferable, or silica sand. At the home depot the might have aragonite, its in a clear bag with a big blue label with kids playing in the sand. Its called "tropical play sand' and its mined by southdown inc. If you can't find that (look in the gardening section) get silica sand, found in the section with the paving bricks, you know the brick driveways... that kind of stuff.

Oct 22, 2002
hmm maybe i'll scratch the seahorse..how 'bout tangs?? my gf digs those..also OBK, the air stone and pump would be for circulation..i think a power head maybe too much?? circultion in a less than 10 gal set-up??

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A 2" regal tang would be too big for a 10g and they grow to 10", tangs are much too big, and are really persceptible to marine ich, not to mention special eating habits, they aren't exactly good beginner fish. NO TANGS :)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Okay OBK here is what all I have. Ten gallon tank and hood.

Here's what all I have found and some prices. Tell me if you think they are good or not.

- Prizm protein skimmer $79
- Silica sand $unknown
- Shells and one small peice of live rock $20
- Two small false percula clown fish $39.99

Is that all I need and are those prices good?

ryan ;D

p.s. Why is Africa not a country? :)

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=Bettaman_shane link=board=saltwater&num=988504001&start=30#34 date=05/02/01 at 15:21:23]
poor little guy they are so nice looking to can't you get food for them?
[/quote]

Purple and yellow is most likely a purple tang, they are quite expensive, and get quite large. They eat seaweed, which you buy in sheets anc clip onto the side of the tank.