nanoreef tank

Oct 22, 2002
i am considering setting up a nano reef tank...the one i saw is a 2.5 gal..i couldn't belive it, but the idea sounds too cool...anyone else heard or tried it..and what would you add for fish, if any??
clown/anonome or seahorse...the one i saw didn't mention fish but did have some inverts and snails...wadda ya think??  

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Do You have any expierence in keeping a marine envirnment stable?

Just asking, cause you need to understand it before trying it. I started with a 30 gallon, which even with that..I had to be very careful to add the right nutrients, watch the nitrates, and keep up with all the little things that goes with reefs.

A 2.5 gallon is a lot of room for error. One small mistake could be critical.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
But..on the other hand, a fish only is not at all hard. You just need a nice crushed coral , or sand substrate. A skilter would be good, and something to measure salinity. Instant ocean is a good salt.

I still think you would be better off with a 10 gallon for salt , fish only. Even then you could only have a couple damsels or small clowns. ;)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=Black,strength,width]So Barb you think a beginner could turn a ten gallon into a salt aquarium with fish only? Ownedbykitten said you couldn't! I have an old one I would like to turn into a marine wiht some fish and maybe some live rocks. Or do you think the live rocks are to much?

Ryan ;D[/glow]

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
By fish only, I mean no corals or other invertabrates. No live rock either. That is too expensive to try in a 10.

I mean, you lay down your coral or sand substrate. Then you mix your salt with your water in a bucket.

you will add only small fish , and fake decorations(coral shells, caves, ect.)

This will get you familiar with salt fish, and taking care of salinity.

You will need a high PH kit, a salinity meter, a skilter would be nice(and nescesary later on with inverts), a heater, stronger lighting would be nice, but not too important right now.

You still have to cycle the tank like for freshwater.So an ammonia, Nitite and nitrate will be needed.

Reefs are not simple at all to take care of, but they are easyer when you know what your system needs.

why do you want to use R/o water for a fish only?
Marine tanks like that hard water with disolved carbonates.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Well why I stress not to try it, I will stand by your decision and help you the best I can.

Lets go over some things from the page that you had me look at.

I agree you need as much live rock as possable, which isn't going to be too much in a small tank.

I am unfamiliar with no sustrate like he suggests, I always used a crushed coral sub. But this is up to you.

I agree to use only mushrooms , and I wouldn't even add these for a while!!

hermit crabs are a nice thing to add..but I also suggest a few turbo snails for algae.

I myself, used tap water. Check your Tap for nitrates, which not everyone has them added. Phosphates can be takin out with a phos-zorb pouch, which can be placed in your skilter if you get one, which I would!!!!

A skilter used bubbles to adhere disolved organic compounds. It raises them up through a chamber and dumps the junk into a holding compartment.A benifet that I wouldn't pass up. It does however, get rid of some vital nutrients that you have to add back into the system.

I dont know how long his system has been up, but 3 weeks is too long for me to do a water change. Weekly to bi-weekly, and you will find the algae loves the front of the glass to grow on.

You will need a full spectrum bulb, and a actnic bulb 50/50.

He doesn't use addatives, but it wont hurt if you get a all in one supplement, to help replenish the ones used.

You must use a hydrometer. You need to measure the salt in the existing tank, which will increase in salinity due to evaporation. Then lower the salt added into the water your adding for a water change.
 If you dont do this, you will have too much salinity in the main tank .

On a side note, his tank could still crash where everything suddenly dies off.4 monthes is not really a mature tank in my opinion. Lets see after a year how he is doing.

For marine fish only, you would have greater success for a beginner.A skilter is all you would need for a 10 gallon.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=Orange,strength,width]Okay here is what I'm thinking. I have the ten gallon and hood with a regular filter. That filter has to go and I will get a skilter. Then I will buy some instant ocean and crushed coral substrate and some shells and fake decorations. Then for fish how about like two little clown fish? I think those would be fine as they are in the 10 gallon marine tanks at the pet store. I have some flouresent lights in there right now and I think those would be okay but correct me if I'm wrong. BTW what is r/o water?

Ryan ;D

p.s. Someone tell me what you think![/glow]

Oct 22, 2002
i dunno ryan but i would add some live rock...tons of beneficial goodies(natural bio and sometimes mechanical filtertaion, if its got barnicles etc)..as long as you don't get fish who will munch it..i have seen two clowns with anonome in a 10 gal..with no problems ..
RO water is water filtered by reverse osmosis..very pure and soft..but lacks a lot of benefical electrolytes...you need to add some goodies back in
when using RO water..but most say its a must for reef systems..RO units cost big $$$'s..but i can get RO water for $0.50 a gal..also i've seen skimmers and filters used together, but a skilter may be a combo of both?? if you do go with live rock
you may need to upgrade your lighting..  

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
If you want to just try it, dont waste the money on the live rock Ryan. Yes it can be done, just like you said, you really dont need a skilter for fish only.

The better skilters ate very tall and dont act as a mechanical filter. The one I have from years ago is both a skilter and filter. It is a whisper btw.

Go for it Ryan. Just get a hydrometer.

Actually, the Tap water purifier is better than an R/o unit. Does the same exact thing faster.You dont have to have this, cause I was successful w/o even treating the water for chlorine back when I had salt water. Now I know better.

Oct 22, 2002
well..my girlfriend now sez she may help set up my minireef..so hopefully in a few weeks i get something goin' and i'll keep ya posted..i think we'll start with a lil 7 gal bowfront..we'll see..
check list:
tank
reef lighting
live sand
live rock
air pump and wooden air "stone"
and see what'll happen after that! [shadow=color,direction,width][/shadow]

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[shadow=Green,direction,width]Okay I'm getting close to asking everything I need to know I think.

Q: Do I need a protein skimmer with this?

Q: Do I need a filter or could I go with a powerhead?

Q: What exact fish do you guys suggest for me as a beginner to marine?

That's about it I think. Anything will be appriciated. Thanks.

Ryan ;D[/shadow]

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=Bettaman_shane link=board=saltwater&num=988504001&start=0#14 date=04/29/01 at 18:56:53]
Do you think the trigger would work? or is it too big . ChEAP clowns and damsels the cheapest i can get them is 29.99cdn
[/quote]

Any trigger of any size is too big for a 20g.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=mrfootball70 link=board=saltwater&num=988504001&start=15#15 date=04/29/01 at 20:43:47]
well..my girlfriend now sez she may help set up my minireef..so hopefully in a few weeks i get something goin' and i'll keep ya posted..i think we'll start with a lil 7 gal bowfront..we'll see..
check list:
tank
reef lighting
live sand
live rock
air pump and wooden air "stone"
and see what'll happen after that! [shadow=color,direction,width][/shadow]
[/quote]

No air pump and diffuser, a reek tank that size does NOT need filtration. Just NO fish. Use a powerhead for circulation.