Nano questions

Nm767

New Fish
Feb 1, 2011
I'm gonna be starting a 20 gallon nano tank this weekend. I have never had a salt water tank before but have had many FW tanks. I've read the step by step sticky but had a few questions.

I plan on doing live rock and know that's like a natural filter but will another filter be beneficial or harmful to the tank? I have an extra emperor 400 HOB as well as a FLUVAL 305 I could use. If one of these will help the tank I'd like to use it but not if it's going to hurt the tank.

Also I planned on using live sand but everyone I talk to seems to use crushed corral. Is there a down side to live sand besides the cost? Are there benefits that make it worth the cost?

Also I have a bottle of DR Tims cycling stuff for SW tanks. I read reviews for this and they were good reviews but who knows who wrote them. Has anyone tried it and what was you experience?

My plan if possible is corals with maybe three fish. A clown a goby and something else. I'd also like maybe a shrimp or crabs or snails. Does this sound possible in a standard 20 gallon?

Again this will be my very first SW tank and I really am looking for all possible advise as I really want this to be successful.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

philo25uk

Small Fish
Mar 23, 2010
hey external filter can be both good and bad if u r going to put filter wool in it then it will need to be wash out every 4-5 days to stop nitrates building up u can use them for a bit extra flow and they can be good for running carbon and phos removers in them i would go with the fluval 305.

i have always use crushed coral sand and never had any problems with it and it live become live over time anyway.

has for the DR Tims cycling never heard of it. with the cycle its best to leave it running has long has u can so the tank can mature u will need bout 1kg of live rock of every 10 ltrs of water (2.6 us gal)just make sure you get good flow going round the live rock has his will help with filtration.

three fish sounds good you will a clean up crew in the tank so bout 5 hermit crabs 5 turbo snails and a cleaner shrimp.

best bit of adivce is don't rush anything take has much time has u need and do loads of research
hope this helps and happy reefing.

phil