Mystery Snail Hatchlings

Jan 24, 2011
U.S.
Hello there!
I am new to this forum although i have been lurking quite a lot. I am a newbie mystery snail breeder (If you couldnt tell by my name) and i was wondering if anyone had any tips. Going on the internet to find information can be so impersonal and then you cannot even ask people questions.

This is what i do know (Very basic)
1. Mystery Snails lay eggs when the temperature of the water drops and so does the water level (at least a few inches)
2. They then attach the eggs to (if you are in a tank) the glass or (in the wild) mostly to reeds on the side of the lake or pond or stream.
3. When they hatch they are itty bitty
uhmm thats it.

Oh yea. My white mystery snail floats at the top of the tank sometimes, but when i look back again she is moving on the glass or at the bottom of the tank. This has been going on for a while... is she sick?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Nope, not sick. They do that sometimes. My blue one likes to suck in air and play in my waterfall filter for hours.

If you have a male and a female give them some time and about 2-3 inches of air space between the waterline and lid of the tank. They'll make an egg sack or five close to the top of your tank on the glass. If you want them to grow, just leave it. It takes a little time for them to come out. Sometimes the outer shell will harden and not allow the ones inside to come out. You'll need to crack the hard shell in this case. Don't toss the egg sack into the water because they'll drown. Just let it sit until they hatch.

For better information do some research on applesnail.com.