My Tanks

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Nice tank i like it. What fish, size(gallons), and equipment do you use on the tank? Also are the plants real?

- depthC

johnnyh

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2003
www.geocities.com
yah its a brichardi, but they r so small they dont bother the others

I have a undergravel filter

29 gallons
all plants are fake :( but i have a smazon sword and some corkscrew grass

6 golden tetras
2 bala shark
2 neon/blue rainbow
2 chinese algea eater
3 pakistani loaches
1 bumblebee catfish
2 brichardi
2 golden gouramis

I have a a few other tanks but i couldnt figure out how to put more than 1 picture up.

Here is my Brackish tank.

I am new to brackish... I have 2 dwarf pufferfisha nd one spotted puffer.

The rocks you see were takes from waipio valley, hawaii.
for all of you that dont know, its a massive valley on the big island of hawaii. They also filmed the end of "WaterWorld" there... the part where they find dry land.

Heres the photo:

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?postid=41187#post41187

Last edited:

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
uh hate to break it to you but arowanas need a 300gal tank min, 55 is way too small, and they could outgrow a 10 in a month, in my opinion they are not tank fish but pond fish only, brichardis need hard water with a high ph, they simply should not be in that tank, you need to begin researching fish before you purchase them, it will prevent you from making mistakes like these

Last edited:

johnnyh

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2003
www.geocities.com
Well, I have had good luckw ith all of my fish, these brichardis are extremly small. and they arent bothering anyone

I know they aren't "community" fish butt hey aren't known for their aggresiveness.

I prefer to rely on real life experiences rather than what someone rights in a book. In my experience fish dont absolutly require a certain hardness or ph.

Also my water is hard and high ph, so dont go pointing finger when you dont know anything about the conditions.

also I have researched Arrowana quite extensively and I have concluded that one could make it in a 55 gallon tank for a while

Also I have never heard of one growing 10 inches in a month, thats alot! Maby 1-2 inches top in a month. I would say that most people that keep arrowanas, do not have them in tanks that are 300+ gallons. I think they would not say "300 gallon minimum" either.

In my oppinion they are not pond fish, because

1. You cant admire their awsomeness
2. Pond tempatures are much harder to regulate

Soulfish, your comment somewhat offended me, because you are implying that I know nothing about these fish. When the bruchardi start getting bigger than the other fish, I will move them, but they really cant bother any other fish in that tank, because they are all much bigger than the brichardi.

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
i believed that the water was soft and low ph because thats what most of the fish should have, ive kept many many types of africans and have worked with them, pH does not need to be exact but the difference between the rift lakes and south america is too large, arowanas do grow very fast, also a 12 inch fish cannot live in a 10gal, also i noticed you have a pair of brichardi, mating brichardis are known for their agression and can become too agressive for most fish, yes i bet there are people that keep arowana in tanks under that size but i think that it is cruel to keep a fish in a tank where it can barely turn around, but this is just my opinion

you may want to check out www.arofanatics.com

Last edited:

johnnyh

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2003
www.geocities.com
what?? a 12 inch fish a in a 10 gallon? what are you talking about?

I think a 10 inch arrowana can turn around in a tank thats not 300 gallons. My water is hard and the ph is about 7... yes i know its high, but the fish are doing fine, and they are very healthy, etc.

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
ph 7 is not high, infact it is neutral, it is fine for most the fish int eh tank, but the brichardis are from lake tanganyika and should have a pH from 8-9 with very hard water, silver arowanas get 3ft which a full size arowana would still be bearly able to turn around in a 300gal which is only 2ft wide and will not have much swimming space , you said you doubted an arowana could grow 10 inches in a month, you also said that youd be buying it at 2-4 inches, i was just saying that hed be more then outgrown for the tank at 12 inches, hed only need to grow a few inches until hed start getting too big for the tank

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
I wasen't going to say anything, but I noticed the balas right off. I don't know much about them but I do know they get to big for that tank.

I don't disagree with the practice of moving a fish to different size tanks as they grow, as long as they have the proper amount of space when they are full grown.

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
I agree AmazonTankz and can relate. A lot of times its a case of money. Not everyone can run out and buy a 200+gal tank plus all the proper equipment right off the bat. I've got 3 Colombians, and am slowly working up to getting them into a tank to whose their full size. But it will take a few years for them to reach that, so I'm moving them out of my 10, into a 77, and then hopefully into a 150+.

However I think its important to make sure, as Soulfish was doing, that the people owning those fish, are aware of these adult size requirements, and are planning on purchasing the proper size aquarium, or have a plan to sell them to other hobbyists. To have a Colombian for example in a 10gal. and not realize its adult size, and as a result of not realizing that, are not planning on upgrading, just causes problems down the road for the owner, and the fish.