Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not half bad...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I finally got around to re-'scaping this tank after I almost literally tore it apart looking for the little blue ram I had in there (never did find him). Anywho, this is in my (6yo) son's room, so technically it's his tank, but since he lives with his dad most of the time, I get to play with it.

Tank Specs:
29gal tank (got it for free from some people I bought a couple canister filters and lights from)
ZooMed AquaSun T5HO light fixture with 2x24W bulbs (one "daylight" bulb and one "plant" bulb...can't remember the exact names)
Penguin 200B HOB filter
Hagen 150W heater
DIY CO2 (coming soon)

Decorations:
Jaguar skull
Triceratops skull
Crocodile skull
One piece of wild-collected driftwood
Three random pieces of grey granite, used to hold the piece of driftwood in place

Background:
White butcher paper (may be changed to black background...pending input)

Substrate:
Flourite Red plant substrate as the bottom layer (about 1")
Black aquarium sand as the top layer (about 1")

Plants:
1x Anubias nana
1x Amazon sword
1x Java fern
1x Baby tears on a lava rock
1x Purple waffle
2x Water wisteria (two bunches)
3x Corkscrew val (three separate plants, but bunched together)

Livestock:
7x Tiger barbs
2x German blue rams (coming soon...the two males I had died earlier today from an accident involving the tank which prompted the sudden redo)
1x SA bumblebee catfish (Grover)
1x Bristlenose pleco
3x Peppered cories

So, here it is in all its glory. I think it looks rather awesome, if I do say so myself!

FTS before (this was right after discovering that an opened bag of bottom feeder pellets had fallen from the back of my filter into the tank and created chaos...my two male GBR were buried under a pile of soggy, decaying pellets, both of them dead):

FTS after:

I'll try to get some really good close-up pics tomorrow when I move the fish back into the tank (going to let it run overnight, just to make sure everything is kosher).

Dec 14, 2009
England
impressive.. i had the same kind of accident with my old 15g that i no - longer have.. i went away for a weekend and my neighbor decided to let her 5 year old feed my fish on her own.. and the whole entire pot of flakes went in, and sadly i lost everything :( anywaysss amazingly beautiful tank you have there:)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Have to get a new filter. The brand new Penguin 200 that was on there gave up the ghost last night (the tank was literally two or three days old!). I don't think I blame this one on the mice as the cord isn't chewed or anything. :p

Anywho, the background is getting changed to black tomorrow, as well.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
how does it not rot and foul up the tank? i mean even after prepping most of my wood just goes bad :( and by most i mean that one piece that i used to start up my shrimp vase lol.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Well, first off, I just barely put it in there, so it hasn't had time to rot. Secondly, with the three pieces that were in the 55gal (all wild-collected), I never had any problems other than a lot of tannins because I wasn't able to soak one of the pieces at all due to its awkward shape. The other pieces that I had in the 29gal before I redid it were the same way.

Got the new filter today. Just decided to upgrade to the AquaClear 50 since the Penguin wasn't on sale anymore (I got it for $29.99 and they're regularly $35.99) and the AquaClear was $38.99. I also added a red flame sword plant to the tank. I forgot to get the background though. lol

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
TAL is loving the tank and wow, what an improvement from before.

One thing, in this poster's opinion, that could add to the tank is some background paper, even if just plain black. I find looking through to see the wall behind a bit unfinished.

But the skulls and wood and placement are really good. I wish I had such an eye for setting up a scene but alas, TAL is right brained.