my puffer is not eating

reba

New Fish
Jul 13, 2003
Ontario,Canada
Visit site
Please help me, I recently bought a dwarf puffer. I don't think that he has eaten anything other than a few fins off his tank mates. I have tried frozen bloodworms, freeze dried krill and fish pellets. I have never seen him eat. I bought him almost 2 weeks ago. I think that he may have eaten some of my ghost shrimp, but I can't be sure.:rolleyes:

madhippoz

Large Fish
Jan 14, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
From what I know they need a regular diet of crustaceans of some sort. Snails or ghost shrimp. It wears their teeth down. If they don't have these in their diet, the teeth might outgrow the mouths making it impossible for them to eat, and you'd have to file them yourself somehow. Don't quote me on this, I'm regurgitating Soulfish advice from memory.

mak

New Fish
Jul 15, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
I had an identical situation with a little male dwarf puffer and learned later that he probably had internal parasites. In his case the only thing he would eat was snails and he continued to go down hill until he finally died.
I talked to a couple of puffer experts who recommended always worming new puffers with Discomed. Most Puffers are wild caught and come to us with internal as well as external parasites. The externals are fairly easy to deal with if you have a little salt in your tank but the internals will require treatment. Just follow the directions on the Disco med and then I would add lots of baby snails to your tank once the treatment is removed. Good luck, I hope this helps!
MK

reba

New Fish
Jul 13, 2003
Ontario,Canada
Visit site
I put my puffer in his own tank and he has eaten a few bloodworms. I thought that they were veracious eaters, I think he needs more. I had a death in my family and have not been able to devote as much attention to this situation as I would like to. I am still so new to fish keeping, it has only been about 4 months since I discovered this obsession. Hopefuly soon I will get back on track with my fish.