My platy fry, "Houdini"!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I named him this because I got my little bro to hold him [underwater] in the net while I got something to seperate him in. He got out and I panicked (he's my 1st fry) I assumed he was dead and then I found him again!! So I named him "Houdini" because he escaped and he also lived and I was amazed :) here's a couple pics. You might have to zoom in a bit to see him well, but he's in there! Sorry if they're a bit blurry but he's hard to photograph :p

and to follow the latest on Houdini, check out this thread: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/breeding/59622-surprise-platy-fry-what-do-now.html

Enjoy!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
idk, but my female swordtail looks EXACTLY like that one in the pic. except mine is slightly less than 4 inches in length now. you can usually tell the diff between swordtail and platy of similar age in that platy stay much smaller than swords. swords also tend to be more enlongated than platy...

Well swordtail and platy are related, so its natural that your fry will look like swordtail fry.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
I'm with Newman. That's a swordfish. Its so obvious because of the angulation of the dorsal fin.

Did anybody buy that? LOL, I crack myself up. OK, seriously, my first platy fry are in the cooker right now. This post makes me wonder, do platy fry have color when born? Guppies don't (except for my black moscows), light mollies don't, dark mollies do, red swords don't. What about platies? This could be the deciding factor of Houdini's questionable parentage.

Great pics of the little guy!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i never said he was. what i said was that the pic of the swordtail you posted (from a google search or something) looked like my female lol.
If his mother is a platy, hes going to look like a platy, even if he is a sword cross- and we dont know that yet.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I wasn't accusing you, I was just saying. We'll have to see and guess once he grows up a bit more. LOL the name of this thread should be "guess that fry!"
yeah I got that pic off google, but it looks EXACTLY like mine, same color and everything. I can't wait until he is old enough to start guessing better!
How long does that usually take? For color to show through and everything? A month or so?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i wouldnt call them orange.
at around 1 week they start looking rosy-pink (maybe what your mom calls orange)
then around 2 weeks he will start turning more and more red.
by the third week he should be very red, if indeed his mother/father were red.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
I think red sword fry start sort of orangy pink after a week or so too. So, if its a hybrid how would you tell? Once it gets bigger obviously. Are they predictably more platy-like or more sword-like? It would really be nice if it grew a sword and was red wag. Then you would know:)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
what the...he looks exactly the same...in terms of color.
Good to know he's alive and well :)
his stoumach isnt his real color. you need to look at his tail. the clearish skin he has will show his true color soon...
so far i'd say he still looks tannish-clear, like a newborn...w/e, seems like he's doing well!