my paludarium -A work in progress

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
oh that thai article/site? i have never tried that but who knows maybe in the future when i breed them i might. though since so many males are being reported to be egg and fry eaters it sounds like a risky thing to do with splendens for more than a few days o_o

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
it was a related site... This summer I might try thai breeding and setup a couple fry ponds. I'm lucky my male isn't a fry-chomper!

..new [chain] petstore specials coming out tomorrow and the awesome lfs has a 25-50% off everything ale, so I should certainly check that out!! Hopefully something suitable.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
for ponds i have been thinking of using those large plastic crates/storage containers, rubbermaids w/e you want to call them. i think they'd make a nice pond structure as long as they dont fall apart lol.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Wow! Sound like quite the project, but the upside is you can have fun raising fish, and event earn an income for them! Yipee for breeding bettas! Your tank looks really cool, it looks bigger then 16 gallons to me I like how it kind of reminds me of a little swamp or something! I just realized this, but when I clicked the link to your paludarium from your signature, it linked me to edit your profile. Just wondering if you've noticed this.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
picture update timeeee!

Papa:

find the fry!:

left:

right:

driftwood:

african violet island:

the whole thing:

"ohhai Ma":

@paperdog: I've changed the sig link... I'm bad for putting the wrong links everywhere :p.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Hehehehe no big deal ;) Your plants are looking very bright and green and your livestock is looking happy! Haha I love how bettas always have that grumpy "what are you looking at?" look, but are still playful and excited! :p

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
ya the are everywhere! I'm not very good with vines, but I googled canadian vines and this looks similar to yours - Lathyrus japonicus var. japonicus Goolgle it and look it up, it seems that its flowers are like a bright purple, that would be cool to see. Its also called beach pea, or beach peavine

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I'll be posting pictures soon. I was pretty busy during the holidays (darn things! ;)) but the betta fry are so big and they look like itty bitty imbellis rather that mosquito larvae!
I've had an algae attack, so I have to clear that out before pics.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hey all! Thanks for the kind comments. I am so sorry I let this thread die and I haven't been able to be on here lately :'( ! I haven't posted pics because, quite frankly, the tanks looks absolutely nasty. I clean a huge amount of BGA out every few days. I'll probably just clean it out and start over-- there are a few things I'd like to change.
The fry are doing very well! They are about an inch now and starting to get RED on their FINS! (pics once tank is even decent...., ugh) And since summer is coming that means LIVE FOOD! and live food means AMAZING BETTA COLORS!!!! :D
(something only I could get excited about)