my paludarium -A work in progress

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Here's a quick fb pic, because I'm too tired to go through tinypic and blah blah blah...
Zo
so it's pretty cycled and I'm thinking about soon stocking the fish... see thread "cycled for 2-3wks," or something like that.

the tank is at about 69F, yes it is one degree cooler than should be, but I think they'll be fine. other than the slightly warm water, they will be getting great care. I'll be getting water leattuce or something floating so that the chance of the tree frog drowning is extremely low. I am home A LOT so even if they did get in the water, despite the floating plants, I would probably be quick to see and intervine. I've seen lots of vids with them swimming, and the water is only about 7" deep. If it dosen't work out I can provide it with a better habitat.
Thanks for your concerns!

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
TBH water lettuce can't support much weight. I would not keep a GTF in that setup.

FBN's would eat the ADF's also. Why don't you keep your guppies in this tank along with a FBN/FBT? Guppies are faster then betta's so they would stand more of a chance.

Your setup is looking really good. How about some java ferns where the rocks are?

Last edited:

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Hello!! Your paludarium is looking really cool, I cant wait to see it with fish and amphibians!! Just one quick question, I am setting a up a paludarium too, so I was wondering if you had any advise or tips or what not. I just need someone who has already gone through the experience to make sure I'm on the right track! Just rply on the thead I started, Its in the brackish section and its called "Paludarium journal". Sorry I'm not very good at making links:( Thanks!!!:)

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
updatessss

ahh liltank ya got me >_< I've kept my name secret for over a year now! lol. Dosen't matter to me, my fakie name is "Val", so call me zoe or call me val, no difference.
bob, I'm still not for sure getting the tree frogs. 1.) availability is very limited and 2.) they wouldn't even do fantastically. I like the java fern idea- the left needs more green to balance it out. Hm, Maybe something "frilly" as well, like java moss or hornwort... I'll probably get more plants once the current plants fill in (hopefully), say a month or so...
thanks riseabove and paperdog! It is living up to my expectations! [so far]

pictures!

land-driftwood. Wild vines are doing great.

right side, part of the ludwigia doing good, part doing bad. =\

left side... new plants! Looking gooood

island, violet has lost the flowers.

I love this pic... the whole thing!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
thanks very much for the kind words everyone!

Still debating adding fish... I don't want to lose my betta imbellis just by the shock of moving. Water chemistry is fine, but... they're so awesome I'm just paranoid :s

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
chinese fbns (what I'm getting) get 2.5", and b imbellis grow to 3", not to mention my imbellis are SUPER fast, like go from one side of the 10g to the other in probably 1/2 second. I'd like to see anything eat them, it takes me 30mins just to net them!
I'm loving the vampire crabs. I believe the lfs has them for like 2/$20...
I'm hoping I'll be picking up a couple cories tonight!!

the future stocking currently is..
4x cories (peppered, panda, leopard? not sure what.)
2x betta imbellis
1-2x ADF
2x vampire crab
2x FBN

aqadvisor says it's at 67% for the aquatics so I think it'll be fine with the newts and crabbies.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
dont overstock your tank. remember its only holding 1/2 of water so cut the gallons of your tank to 8 gallons of water and run AqAdvisor for an 8 gal tank. that will give you what your tank can support. it sounds like you already have way too many inhabitants planned ;)

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
FBN's get to be 3-6 in. Plus they like it on the cool side unlike the betta's. Betta's NEED tropical waters. FBN's need water below 70 degree's to thrive.

It is not wise to mix diferent reptile/amphibian/land invertebrates. FBN's are known to co exist with FBTs fine but mixing species is for the experts.

I think your tank is perfect for the vampire crabs. The Crab's may pester the adf/s so you may have to move them.

If you really want a newt how about eastern newts? They can handle warmer warters then FBNs.

I am just looking out for your animal's well being. Sorry if I sound like a preacher.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I agree with all of you... I pictured all of them in my tank and it seems very crowded.
Soooooo...

2amano shrimp (already in there!)
2 betta imbellis (ALREADY IN THERE!! woot.)
2 newts... debating what kind, I do rather like easterns, I used to have one, but haven't ever seen on in a store around here...
1-2 vampire crabs- I *know* I saw them *somewhere*!
1-2 adfs (totally willing to move them if they're bullied!!)

with the bettas, shrimp, adfs on aqadvisor in the 8.8 gallons of water it is at 33%.
temp is at 70F.
Bettas still stressed from the big move, but doing well. Female's been showing breeding stripes, a fat belly and an optivisor (bad spelling... oops) all day.

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
Yah Betta's and ADF's need tropical tempetures. The newts may chow on the shrimp. Vampire Crabs will harass the newts and maybe the adfs. You REALLY need to put more research into the husbandry of these animals.

With a bit of reaserch, this will turn out to be a great fishtank.