My Oscar pics

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
2011-09-22_18-00-14_513.jpg 2011-09-22_17-59-14_190.jpg
Pics of my Water Dawgs!!!!! Just wanted to share my buddies with you all.
Yes, those are goldfish with the Oscars! I call them my Ninja Gold Fish since they survived my Red Devil from baby feeders for about a year before I got rid of my Red Devil. He would eat other feeders but could not catch these three obviously LOL!!

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Thank you, that set-up is how they like it. They like to arrange the tank themselves. I have tried to sculpt it how I thought it looked good but, they thought my ideas were wrong LOL. I keep them fat and happy, they are a lot bigger now. That diet of shrimp, peas, and carrots seems to be working good.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Lovely tank and fish!! I love the 2 butterfly goldfish. I won one at a fair, but it only lived in my goldfish tank for a week. It was really sick and I tried to keep it as happy and stress free I could. It seemed to be getting better then bit the dust. Now I'm sticking with Fancies until I get a Koi Pond. :)

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
NOPE!!! LOL!!! The kids and wife helped with that tank set-up. They claimed they didn't like the other tanks without gravel so they wanted gravel in this one. I really prefer no substrate myself. I have given in though and now my 150G has a little black gravel on one half of it. I had my African tank with no substrate but have added crushed coral to it to help buffer the pH. I had been breeding them so I have been adjusting my holding tank water to 8.2-8.4 pH with Epsom salt, baking soda, and instant ocean in the holding tank before I pump it in the African tank. I think their colors look a bit better with the pH adjusted as well so I have been keeping the pH maintained with weekly WC's.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Gravel was OK when I had less bio-load with smaller fishes. Its easier to clean without the substrate thats for sure. I do agree it looks better with gravel its just not as easy to clean and I am stickler for having my tanks CLEAN!! If the gravel does not siphon clean with the first water change I do it again right after the temp is back to normal.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Your Oscars and Jack Dempsey are really very pretty fish. Hard to tell just how big they are, but do they become people food when in their native environment? It has been too many years, but I still remember all the pan fish we use to catch for a fish fry as a kid - mostly sunfish and blue gills. Don't know if any one does that anymore. Back then fishing was for food, now much of it is "catch and release". I also remember the ocean perch that one of the guys in the Coast Guard use to catch from shore and leave a bucket full on my door step - really fresh fish and so good eating!