My Newest Fish

Feb 27, 2009
I hope they do! I have 10, so the odds are good that I have at least one of each gender eh? The males tend the eggs in small caves, and those that have bred them use small PVC pipes. Hard to tell from my pic, but they are about 1" long, and full grown. Gonna hafta be small pipes!

They are really shy so far, and the tank they are in is HEAVILY planted and full of algae (on purpose - indirect sunlight and 14 hours of light per day). I've used this tank to make 'algae logs and algae rocks' for my otos, and its perfect for these fish to snack on the infusoria in there. They don't take to commercial foods normally, so I'm going to offer some microworms tonight.

10 in a 10gallon tank and couldn't SEE one of them this morning! I want to get a few more pics if they come out of hiding, that show their color. That pic I posted was just seconds after being released from the shipping bags and after being drip acclimated for an hour.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
I caught a quick look at 4 or 5 of them before they darted under a piece of driftwood. By the time I got the camera out, they were long gone. I have the camera with fresh batteries right in front of the tank, so I'll try to sneak up on them again later.

They are just toooo cute. They remind me of seahorses with their 'beak' mouth.

Twiggles

Medium Fish
May 4, 2010
I wasn't even aware of this fish before I saw this - I did some reading and I gotta say this has gotta be one of the coolest creatures. I have no idea where I could get some, but if i start another planted project I'm definitely going to consider these little guys. They seem like a real challenge, you've inspired me! lol *twirlysmi

Feb 27, 2009
They are definately not for a newly set up tank. So far, I've only seen them eating infusoria and microworms. I'm going to try some daphnia tonight, but they may be too large.

I got mine from an importer in New York City. Not sure where you are, but they shipped well.

Hubby wants them for a nano tank on his desk. Right now they are in QT in a 10gallon tank, to be moved into a 20gallon long to live with some Boraras briggitae (Chili Rasbora).

In the picture, you can see a piece of twine I've used to attach a newly added anubias plant (split from another location). This morning, two of them were trying to pretend they were a piece of twine next to it (swaying in the current as the twine does). Too cute!

Last edited:

Twiggles

Medium Fish
May 4, 2010
Yeah I read that they eat micro organisms in the water, which a new tank wouldn't have of course. But they seem like the perfect little fish to have in a super heavily planted tank ... I like the small but interesting fish lol. I live in Toronto, so If I ever wanted them I guess I'd be ordering them as well. Do they prefer to live in a species only tank, or are there any tankmates that can live peacefully with them? I see they're going to be moved in with some rasboras, but what about things like shrimp? They seem like very intelligent fish I must add.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
Yeah I read that they eat micro organisms in the water, which a new tank wouldn't have of course. But they seem like the perfect little fish to have in a super heavily planted tank ... I like the small but interesting fish lol. I live in Toronto, so If I ever wanted them I guess I'd be ordering them as well. Do they prefer to live in a species only tank, or are there any tankmates that can live peacefully with them? I see they're going to be moved in with some rasboras, but what about things like shrimp? They seem like very intelligent fish I must add.
I website I read (long ago, can't find it now) that was keeping them with similar sized fish (1" or so), which is why I will move them in with my rasbora. If I ever get Dario dario, I think they would work out too.

Shrimp, I don't know. I may try a few cherry shrimp if I can find them (those at my LFS do not look healthy) and test the theory and let you know. I think they would pick off shrimplets.

They are amazingly intelligent for such a small fish. They seem to stick together but I'd not say they shoal in the way that rasbora or tetra do. They do not dart around aimlessly like most small fish, but more explore and hunt.

Feb 27, 2009
Almost out of QT. They are quite active after the lights are out. Their permanant tank has 'moonlights' (was an old saltwater tank's light), so hopefully I can see them more easily soon. As you can see in the video, they are quick. I will likely spend alllllllllllll day when it comes time to catch them all safely!