My new 55 gallon tank setup. Input encouraged

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
I posted this in another forum, but havn't gotten a response. Not being impatient, but figured it wouldnt hurt to put it here as well.

Ok.. So, I have had a 20 gallon for some time, and decided to upgrade. It was black Friday and found some nice deals at Petsmart. I am afraid I may have more fish in my tank than I should, but the associate at Petsmart told me No, and in fact told me to come back in about a week to get more fish. Here is my story.

FILTER: My tank has the hang on back type filter that came with it, labeled "top fin" which is supposed to be for a 55 gallon tank. (I believe it may be a different brand with their logo on it) but it has two different sides each with their own filter. It is rated at 300GPH Which I believe is adequate. Just to be sure I also have my 30 gallon Aqeuon filter on the tank as well. (also put on to help tank cycle). It is rated at 200GPH. One of my decorations also has a bubbler built into it.

SUBSTRATE: I have 2-3 inches of black/blue gravel mixed with a couple gallons of my white gravel from my original 20 gallon tank so it would cycle faster (am not sure if it made a difference or not)

DECORATION: a handful of rocks, 4 mid-large size decorations with small holes and hiding spaces, a mid size rock with a hole through the middle, and a couple cheap plastic fake lava type molds with holes in them, one stuck to the wall

PLANTS: I was trying to get a few plants that were appealing and would help with ammonia levels, but don't want an all planted tank that is covered in moss. (just not my thing). I have 3 lucky bamboo (Which are fully submerged, which I later researched and found that they shouldn't be (contrary to what I was told in store)). I intend to keep an eye on them and at the first sign of yellowing/dying I will remove and repot until they are tall enough for leaves to stick out the top of surface. I have 3 small green plants which I believe to be Amazon swords. I have a small piece of driftwood with what I believe is a java fern in the middle. And I have 2 moss balls. (One rep told me to anchor them and let them spread, another told me to let them float and sink on their own) Both said to squeeze them periodically to let them breathe

FISHIES: I transferred my 2 pleco, one about 5 inches, the other about 2.5 into it. I also tranferred my 2 angelfish that are each about 3 inches. I also transferred my one bala shark about 3 inches into it. I bought 3 more bala sharks, one rainbow shark, 6 glofish (danios I think), 6 fancy guppies (one died the first day, now 5), 3 sunburst platies, and 2 clown loaches.

After further research, I will be bringing back all my sharks and plecos. And will be bringing back one clown loach. (Eventually I will bring back the other as well, but for now he is only 1.5 inches long.

I also used a bio chemical to shorten the cycle time, and once cycled used water conditioner, ammonia remover, and stress reducer before adding fish. It's been about a month and the water looks clear and fish look happy

FEED: I feed my fish about once a day with flake food, just what they will eat. I also put in a frozen brine shrimp about once a week

WATER CHANGE: I did do a couple 30% changes while cycling but my plans are to change my filter cartridges by every two weeks changing one filter, so they get changed once a month, but not both at once and doing a 40% or so water change once a month. I have heard everything from once a year to to every other day.. But I plan on trying this and just see how it goes and continue to check water params.

QUESTIONS: I guess what I want to know is

1) is my filter setup adequate? I've heard about biowheels, and is what I have ok or should I replace my 20 gallon filter with a biowheel keeping my 55 gallon that came on it as well? Are they worth it? what about canister filters? worth the investment? is there such a thing as too much water movement? I have my 20 gallon currently on a timer so that when lights go on the filter goes off for feeding and viewing purposes, but with 2 filters and a bubbler is too much air a bad thing?

2) Although the rep says it could hold many more fish, is this overstocked? I plan to remove my balas, but could I keep one? thoughts?

3)Any one else ever buy the lucky bamboo from petsmart and what were the results?

4) Any other thoughts and input is helpful. I've had a 20 gallon tank for years and this is my first time with something this large.

My goal is to have a low maintence tank that is properly filtered. I also prefer to have a variety of colorful fish that get along with each other.

Thanks a lot for any input and help!

(Click on picture to view it larger.. Sorry for the bad quality, it is from my phone)

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if you feel like investing in filters, thats always a plus. the tank is cool, but the bala sharks cant be in here for ever. theyll be fine for a while depending on how fast they grow i think.

the bamboo needs to have its leaves above the water. not a very good submerged plant IMO. so float the stems for now and keep one end out of the water and the bottom end in the water until it grows taller and gets leaves.

what kind of plecos do you have? if they are commons either get rid of them eventually like the balas or just dedicate the entire tank to two plecos. they grow big and maybe if you have a pair they *might* breed in the 55 gal but you have to run them through a cycle once theyre old enough.
Clown loaches also have the same story as with the bala sharks.
if ou get rid of all the large fish, then yes the store employee is right you can have a LOT of smaller fish like the danios and the livebearers that you have.