My new 29 gallon piece of paradise!

Feb 10, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Yeah-

The girlfriend and I are in the mountains right now but leaving in a few. I plan on stopping by PetCo and/or PetsMart and picking up a few plants to start with. Mostly anubias. Anacharis looks too difficult to care for.

I may try C02 injection the homemade way with a 2 liter bottle but i only have my bubbles on during the day. At night a timer turns my light and bubbles off.

Any advice on lighting? Right now I only have the large flourescent bulb that came with the tank.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes get a replacement, the daylight ones are great.

anacharis is nothing, just get one bunch, take the weight off, toss it in, let it float in a corner and make sure it gets light from that 6500K. It'll be growing more than the anubias, who is a slow grower. GL dude.

Feb 10, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Nanu-

It's still a work in progress. The miracle sealant I thought I found was anything but. Everything I try becomes brittle and starts to peel off the bottles a few minutes after total immersion. Promise I will post updates when I discover something.

Meanwhile, I found that I have an 8,000k Full spectrum Daylight flourescent bulb on my tank. Good enough for the plants?

Feb 10, 2011
Annapolis, MD
nah, it's only been running about a little more than a month. Any recommendations on bulbs you really dig?

Also, thought maybe I'd ask the question even though it might sound dumb but, do black lights do any good other than making some of the colors of the fish look better/brighter? I have two and would love to put them to good use.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
research blacklights on aquariums. i hear they are dangerous if used improperly.
As for bulb recommendations any daylight bulb is perfect, and is cheap.they are 6500K or so and are perfect for plants. 8,000K is fine too. it depends on what light you want to see your tank under too.

Feb 10, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Apparently Blacklights only emit the benign part of the UV spectrum, whether that's UVA or UVB I don't know, I think it's UVB, but there are some extensive convos on other forums that go into great detail on this issue. I think it helps bring out some color in fish and plants and may even assist in killing some harmful bacteria but who knows. Don't think I'll ever actually do it but who knows. Any advice on light spectrums that are better/best? is 8,000 stronger or weaker than 6500? I know common sense would tell you that of course 8,000K is stronger but maybe i'm wrong? I know nothing about these things so perhaps 6500 is better for the plants and fish?

Hope all's well.. sorry I haven't checked in in a while.

Feb 10, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Newman- update. Finally remembered to check out my bulb and it's a 17w, T8, 8,000k. Is that good? I'm trying to eventually end up with a heavily planted 29gallon but it seems every time I see pics of a heavily planted tank, the lighting is dim...

Also everyone.. see new pics! Sorry, no rum or wine bottles yet, probably not enough room now, but I'm still working on some experiments.

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
On the topic of miracle sealants from a few posts earlier... have you tried PC-7 Epoxy? It's a marine epoxy. (People use it on their boats underwater bits). And I believe that one can be used on glass and ceramic. If not maybe PC-11? I forget which number works for what, but the company makes good stuff and I bet one of their epoxies can do it. Here's a link for their "which epoxy is good for your project" tool: PC Epoxy - Ask the Expert Hit the big red button on the top left for the "recommend-a-lator". :)