My Goldfish is Losing his Scales - HELP!!!

dzap79

Small Fish
Feb 24, 2008
I have a serious problem with my common goldfish. I have a 20 Gallon tank with two goldfish and a weather loach. I only recently acquired the tank afteer rescuing them from my friends place after their child poured an entire can of food in the tank. First of all I know they have been through a lot of stress since they were moved to my place. The water in the tank had to be completely trashed and replaced in a short period of time. They were placed in a bucket for a good day and I am sure they did not like this. The goldfish with the problem is about 2 inches long and always had a few spots of missing scales due to some fighting with other fish that are no longer with us. Since I have had him (about a week) his scales have started to come off slowly. Everyday I am noticing some more missing and it is just horrible. He seems fairly ok but does seem to have some decreased energy and keeps going to the back corner of the tank. He used to get very excited when you would come up to the tank but not so much lately. The other one still does.

I have checked the water and the Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite are ok and the Nitrate is 10ppm. I have been doing 20% water changes every 3 days. I know that the tank is too small and am currently looking to buy a 55 gallon. I thought I might have seen the loach go after him a few times but not sure completely. Also they lived together for a good 6 months with no problems.

I am desperately trying to save him but feel helpless. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please help!!!

Feb 24, 2008
Have you tried adding any Stress Coat type solution to the water? I'm more concerned about the change in behavior than the scale loss... mine throw scales quite often, especially before a growth spurt. But it sounds like yours is going through a dangerous level of stress what with all the recent changes in environment.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
What temperature are you keeping the tank at? Goldfish are cold water fish (65 to 72 degrees IIRC) but a lot of people (and pet stores) keep them in water that is far far too warm. If your temp is up above 72 you could very slowly start to lower it and see if that helps. (I don't know what the temp threashold for the loach is though you'll likely need to do some research there).

There's a pair of fish medicines called Melafix and Pimafix that can be used together (and are very affordable) that might help too. Though with the Loach in there you may just want to use the Melafix on its own. It's a herbal antibotic many people use to help their fish heal wounds more cleanly.

As for stress. If you can move things around in your tank (with out stressing the fish out more) make sure there's lots of hiding spots and line of sight breaks so that he has a place to hide. You might want to limit the amount of time the lights on too, make sure it's not being left on perpetually and that they have a good long 'night' time to rest and recooperate?

Also, take a very close look at the gold fish. Make sure it doesn't have any nipped fins, or other marks/spots on its body that could be the signs of bullying or fungal infections.

That's all I can think of. I hope it helps.

dzap79

Small Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Goldfish Missing scales

I know that the temperature is high (somewhere near 78) but it is very hard for me to regulate this. I am planning to move them closer to a window that can be left open, which will help with the temp.

I have used a stress coat (AquaPlus Tap Water Conditioner Stress reducing formula) every time I do a water change. It comes out to about a cap full for my 20% water change every 3 days.

Unfortunately with a 20Gallon tank there is not so much room for hiding spots while still allowing for line of site breaks. I am actively looking for a 55 gallon so I can begin the cycling process as soon as possible. This tank is way too small for my 3 fish.

There is nothing else I can see on the fish that looks like anything other then scales missing. It is very hard to tell if its getting worse or not. Are you sure that the Melafix is ok for use with the other two fish (goldfish and Weather loach)? I am afraid that it will hurt them in the process of trying to save the other one. Thanks for all your help

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
There are lots of hiding spots that can be used in a 20G for fish that size. Small sized flower pots turned on their side, PVC piping, rocks and drift wood can all be used to make efficent little caves and crannies . Plants (even cheap fake plastic ones - though I've found real ones to be even cheaper) break up line of sight too. Particularly tall grassy ones.

How big are the loach and the other gold fish?

Last edited: