My Goldfish is darting around and staying on the bottom

dzap79

Small Fish
Feb 24, 2008
I have two Goldfish in a 20G tank with a AquaClear Power Filter hanging on the back of the tank. Last night I came home late and went over to my fish tank as I usually do and one of my little guys freaked out and started to dart around the tank very suddenly. He was in the corner on the back side of the tank swimming into the gravel. It almost looks like he is trying to escape. He is doing damage to his scales because of the way he moving.

All the water levels are good. I have been checking them everyday lately. I had one of those gravel filters that hook up to the air pump and you fill without Activated Carbon and foam. I recently removed it and replaced with some ornaments that plug into the air pump for nice bubble effect. I am pretty sure this has nothing to do with anything but thought I should tell about it.

At this point I have no idea what to do. The other fish is fine. It almost looks like it will just pass and maybe he is just stressed or feeling under the weather. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Do a 50% water change and keep a close eye on the fish.
By disconnecting the gravel filter, you probably had a bacterial dieoff.
What water parameters have you been checking?

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Darting around usually signals some type of distress. Like Dino suggested above, the first place to start is by checking out your water parameters. Could be the loss of beneficial bacteria or if a big swing in PH has occurred, it can cause skin irritation and loss of color. Could also be parasites due to water conditions.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Could also be that something just spooked him. I have had them dart around so fast you almost think they are going to break through the glass and then they calm down and are fine. Never found anything physically wrong with them. Just keep a close eye on him for a while. Good luck

dzap79

Small Fish
Feb 24, 2008
I have been treating my two goldfish for Fluke with Fluke Tabs. I have a 20G with a AquaClear Power Filter. I started treatment a few days ago with Fluke Tabs and after 24 hours I did a 1/3 water change and then treated again according to the instructions on the back. Now I have treated 2 times and it looks like the Fluke symptoms are gone.

My question is what to do next? While the Fluke symptoms do appear to be gone how do I really know? He is still sitting on the bottom of the tank and has badly frayed fins that appear to a combination of tail & fin rot as well as septicemia. I am not sure what I should do now. The water is getting a little cloudy . Should I leave the fluke tabs in the water for a few more days before changing the water again? What about other medications to treat for the other symptoms? I am really at a loss here and have no idea what to do. Any suggestions or ideas? Can I mix other medications to treat what appears to be a bacterial infection that has sprung up.

J-pond

Small Fish
Dec 30, 2008
The best thing for you goldfish is to make sure the water parameters are at there best. Ammonia should be 0, Nitrite 0, and should have a small amount of nitrates. It is better to have the water at it's best then to add more chemicals. Do the water test including PH and repost, maybe we can give more advice then.