My Ghost Shrip had babies!

Feb 8, 2009
I was checking out my tank at night with a flashlight and noticed that one of the Ghost Shrimp was reflecting much more light than the others. Upon a closer inspection I saw it was carrying spawn underneath its tail/belly. It was using the tiny legs that run along the middle of its body to hold the little guys as it walked around looking for food. I was very surprised as I have heard that GS are hard to breed, and I didn't even try. I do keep close attention to the tank and perform 15% changes every week, but other than that the tank runs its self. Between all of the corys and the shark I don't think many, if any, will survive, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Feb 8, 2009
I took a closer look and I'm not convinced that the "kids" have been born yet. They may still be in mom's belly. They look like tiny spirm packed together in a sack right under the flattest part of the shrimp. I will try to get a picture, but only have a phone camera and it really sucks.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
sounds like she is still holding them. but as for being hard to breed. I have found that when u don't try u get tons of offspring but when u try u get none lol. I tried getting guppies to breed and had no luck at all. my friend on the otherhand neglects his tank and never does water changes and just fills the tank after over a 1/4 of the water evaporates. needless to say his 3 he started off with has turned into about 30-40 in the past 6 months.