My Fish is sick!

Dec 23, 2017
My black moor goldfish is sick and I need help! He has got an eye that's blurry and has what looks like a 'skin' over it, and he has also started losing colouring on his scales which have started turning orange-white.

Can someone please advise me on what to do?
I have had the tank set up for over a year, with frequent water changes, he is in the tank with two other fish.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Do you have a reading in PPM for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Pretty much a requirement for initial troubleshooting.

Could be water quality related, or could be a disease or parasite introduced from a newly added fish (which is ALWAYS a danger with new additions).

Good for you with the frequent water changes! That's a necessity for long term fish help. Depending on the size of the tank and the amount of fish in it (bio load), some tanks require much larger and more frequent water changes.

As an example, my goldfish 55g tank gets the water pulled down to where the fish start to flop over and gets refilled once per week.

Dec 23, 2017
Thankyou for the reply!
Unfortunately I don't have those readings, nor have the equipment to test the water- could you recommend a place to buy such equipment, and roughly how much it would cost?

I am hoping to pop into my local pet store today and show them the photos I have taken in hope that they will know what to do- I haven't added any fish in recently, these three have been in the tank together pretty much since the start.

My tank is around 60 gallons I do believe, and I understand what you mean, hence why we refill quite often too. :)

I read on another website that perhaps adding Fish-safe salt to the water may help with his eye? Would you recommend this. Thankyou

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I would recommend the commonly available API master test kit. Chain pet places typically sell them for around $30. That does seem like a lot, but it will last you for years. Everyone in the hobby should have some type of liquid test kit to measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. pH, KH and GH are others that can be important depending on what you're after, but that's for another day!

I have no experience with aquarium salt, meds or additives. I don't use anything but quality dechlorinators like Seachem prime or the granular version called Safe and lots of water changes.