my first pond

drake53

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
southern Texas
I finally got a pond you might see it in my signature. My comet is colored weird*SICK*if any can help please do other then that it acts normal and there all fine and fun.

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
what kind of weird colors? my sister has a goldie that barely has any orange in it... it's mostly white, with a bluish tint, and some spots of orange. he's not ill that's just his colors :)

on the other hand... i dunno if anyone's mentioned this to you, but you should try to swap that koi out for another few goldies!! kois get HUGE (a 3 foot fish is a big fish!) and need something rediculous like 500 or 1000 gallons each.

other than that, congrats, i wish i had a pond! i would love to see pics!

drake53

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
southern Texas
well it has kind of a darker gold than the other comets i saw when buying it and its dorsal and tail have black edges.

also i know kois get big but mine is only 5 inches long right know and has calico pigment.

ill try to get some pics maybe when all they algae disapears and yesterday we got a sail fin plec for it its about four inches but will reach about nineteen inches. any way i hope it is ok with its algal growth

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Those are pretty typical colors -- the black will most likely disappear as he grows.

Your pond is seriously overstocked -- adding a plec to is was a bad idea on many levels. The koi alone, while small now, should be growing at an amazing rate right now if he has good water quality and proper feeding. He should outgrow your pond within a season. The plec will also outgrow your pond in very short order and, as he grows older, may very well start considering your goldfish's slime coats as a good snack. Between the growth rates and the bioload, you're beyond the edge of safety. Be sure there are plenty of plants, heavy duty filtration and that you watch your parameters very closely.

A 65 gallon pond is sufficient for a few fancy goldfish, fewer singletailed goldfish or a variety of hardy tropicals (swords, platies, wcmm, rosy barbs.....)