My first fish loss

jsparky

Small Fish
Mar 9, 2004
Visit site
Just found one of my white cloud mountain minnows floating upside down in the tank.

I never got around to naming the white clouds. :( I've been fishkeeping for 2 months and this is my first loss.

jsparky

Small Fish
Mar 9, 2004
Visit site
Thank you all. I would have had many more losses during the first months without these boards!

It's funny, it seems kind of heartless to go out and buy another white cloud right away. Still, there's really no other fish that would fit into my tank, so I guess I will eventually.

jake_89

Large Fish
Mar 17, 2004
Canada
Visit site
Sparky not take it hard they are a fish that can die easy and often just like guppies!
I hada 12 of them in my 10g and my temp went over by 2 degrees and 6 of them died.
Sorry too hear about your loss.
Good work when I started last summer i didn't even last 2 weeks and I had a guppie die on me.
Also I didn't have the great helpers and people on this website to help me with my problems.

Flex26

Large Fish
Apr 21, 2003
Delaware County, PA
Visit site
Originally posted by blueturq
your very first loss is your toughest probably IME:(
I think you're right blueturq. It's probably because you don't have the experience to troubleshoot your problem. So, you start beating yourself up because you can't figure out what went wrong. With some experience, you're able to identify possible causes of death and then work to rectify the situation.

I'm sorry about your loss, jsparky.

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Sorry for your loss jsparky. Losing fish sucks so i feel you.

Just today i lost a beatiful angelfish for no apparent reason. Well now i think of it i just didnt see the signs, i lost him to internal parasites just as i did with my 2 kribs. So even with experience your not always prepared for or aware of any problems.

Id recommend a quarentine tank to you if you dont already have one. I NEED to set one up for my self and buy some meds for internal parasites. Im going to start quarentining all my new fish only because it sucks to lose them a few weeks later for no apparent reason.

.depthc

jsparky

Small Fish
Mar 9, 2004
Visit site
Thanks again for your messages. It did suck to lose the white cloud, though honestly it will probably be harder when it's time for my betta or a cory to go. I'm just more attached to them.

depthC, my condelences for the loss of your angelfish. Those are gorgeous fish. I'm setting up a quarantine tank myself, for some otos I think I'm going to get next.