My Convicts won't breed what's wrong?

Jan 11, 2007
Illinois
I have had my convicts for close to 4 months now. They have tried 2 times to breed but the eggs didn't hatch. My male is constantly chasing my female and somtimes he flares his gills at her. She doesn't seem to to like being chased around. What can i do to influence them to breed?

Thanks for any advice

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
Well, you obviously don't have to induce them into breeding - they already are going through the motions.

Female convicts become sexually mature quite a bit before males do. My guess is that the female is ready (hense laying the eggs), but the male is still a little immature and not ready (hense the infertile eggs). Give them time. Before long you'll be whining about what to do with all the babies ;)

May 1, 2007
MI
Change 20% of the water a day. Increase the temperature by 2 degrees. It only takes a slight turn of the dial for this. Don't go over 82 degrees though. Feed freeze dried bloodworms. If you can obtain live or frozen brine shrimp feed a few of them to your fish a day. If you can obtain live blackworms feed both of your cichlids about 3 worms a day. Are they in a 20 litter tank or a 20 gallon. 20 gallons is the minimum. 20 litters is probably too small.