My black mystery snail just died.

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
I saw there was something shlomo was on top of, thought he was eating it something. I tried to pick him up with the net to see what it was only to find he had died and fallen out of his shell. I just got him a month ago. My water perameters are all normal 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, less than 10 nitrate. I just added fish to my tank a few days ago could they have given him a disease? I liked that snail. Funny how you can get attached to something so small.:(

Apr 18, 2004
Visit site
hey s skate it could be your new fish pick on him to death. i raise them but dont have that problem, most of my fish have been raised with snails, so they are accustomed to them being around. this is going to sound morbid but to memoralize your wonderful snail clean out his shell and keep it as a trinket. but what was your temp at? was he large? if so he could have died of old age. the higher the temp the faster their metabilizism is. the brigs only live for 1 to 1 1/2 on average. but will live longer in a bit cooler tank. mine are all in water thats from 72 to 80 and i have them die from time to time as well.
Shane