My 29 Gallon Tiger Barb Tank

Apr 14, 2004
Northern Michigan
Visit site
[video=facebook;579043121814]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=579043121814[/video]

I've been on these forums for a long time, though much of my posting was in the past and I occasionally return. About a year ago, I decided to restock my tank. All it had left in it at that point was a single harlequin rasbora. So, I decided I was going to mess with tiger barbs again. They were going to be the central theme. I originally had two large ghost shrimp but I think their life spans have passed at this point. I got a rainbow shark to go with the barbs. I tried to do a dwarf gourami but there was compatibility issues. But I wanted a blue fish within the Asian theme so I ended up getting two 3-spot gouramis. Then I had a pleco.

That was all I was going to do, until I inherited some more fish and the decorations you see in the video when my brother took apart his 10 gallon. I got 3 cherry barbs and like 2 or 3 glowlight tetras. I don't really care about the tetras but they are still living in there after all this time. This community is extremely low maintenance and once I got my community to what it was, it's been the same ever since for the past year with only the ghost shrimp passing away.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I tarted a tiger barb centered tank a few years ago. I have 10 tiger barbs, 5 serpae tetras 4 cherry barbs, a few(3) surviving zebra dainoes and four khuli loaches. This is in a 55 gallon now . These fish do well together with the tigers being the dominant group. The others give way but there are no aggression problems in the sense of the tigers ganging up on the others. I suspect that the large group of tigers pay attention to each other and have little interest in the others. I like the color combinations.
I plan to balance the numbers soon as I am just about finished with new mold resistant drywall along one wall of the room that is to be my fish room. The painting is finished and the trim is about done. I will then be able to set my quarantine tank back up and some additional tanks.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Skjl, do you mind if I ask what type of kuhlis you have?? I have 3 banded kuhlis and 3 black kuhlis. They all like to get in a huge mass under my java fern. I'm definitely getting more later on. :)

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello ; I had at one time three black and three banded. I have only seen one banded lately so may have lost the others. I have a planted tank and they may still be ok. I have had them go unseen in the past in other tanks and they turn up when the tank is taken down.