My 235L Planted Aquarium Journal

Nov 15, 2010
Hi guys,

first post, hopefully many more to come... I am hoping to keep this Journal / Thread updated on a weekly basis as things progress / change.

My Aquarium is a Atman 235L that came with the cabinet and built in wet/dry trickle filter.

It was purchased roughly 8 months ago. I pretty much just put in some generic black fine gravel, installed a heater filled up the media in the built-in filter filled her up cycled it added a bit of rocks / wood and plants / fish and didn't bother too much.

I have since had time and the money to start up my dream Planted Aqua so the tank was totally stripped down last week.

The established gravel and media from the wet/dry trickle filter was put aside.

Filled her up with about 3cm worth of Tetra Complete Substrate topped that layer off with Tetra Initial Sticks (Soil addition for the setting up of a long-term nutrient base for aquarium substrate). Finally layered the established generic fine black gravel on top and now we have a nutrient rich substrate.

Second upgrade was the filter... since wet/dry trickle filters are not the ideal for a planted aquarium due to them releasing CO2. Purchased a canister filter and filled it up with all the established media mixed in with new media.

Third upgrade was the heater... I had a cheap china made heater that was never consistent with temps it had the worst thermostat. Setting it on 26 It would heat the water up to 30 degrees Celsius before deciding to switch off. A nice Tetra 300W German filter was purchased (allows increments of 0.5 degrees and may I say it is spot on accurate in regards to temps.

Digital Dy-max thermometer also purchased.

Now lighting.... The standard built in lighting in my hood consists of 3x T8 tubes 90watts total. They were replaced with some new Dy-Max Tri-Band Phosphor tubes.

Now since I have removed the rear built in wet/dry trickle filter i have room to mount more lighting ... Installed a bolt on Dy-Max Light on the rear which consists of 2 more fluorescent tubes T5 21w x2 with reflector.

Lighting completed.

The tank is cycled already due to the established media and gravel. Filled her up treated the water and in 24 hours it was crystal clear.

Did some quick water tests ... everything is great. Fish who were awaiting in my spare hospital tank were added back to their home. And may I say they were more than pleased to be out of that 50L tank. hehe.

Driftwood purchased for the centerpiece and bought all my plants from the LFS.

After a week of planting moving around and arranging to get the right scape I wanted here is some pics of day one of planting and then just 5 days later you can see the growth.

Fish ... 4 discus ... 15 neon tetras ... 10 very happy rummy nose tetras ... 3 bosemani rainbows ... 2 German rams ... 1 Bolivian ram .. .1 balloon ram ... 3 corydora catfish ...

I will update you next week with pics and info. :D

enjoy my first journal entry.

Week 1 (water still needs time to polish off)
------------------------------------------

(having trouble with uploading images will try again in a hour).

Let me know guys what you think opinions are more than welcome.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2010
looking nice. sorry about the neon. those unfortunately are a common loss.
I had to bump up the temperature to 29 degrees Celsius due to some of the rummy nose showing small signs of white spot (ich) so i guess the neons did not appreciate the very warm temps since their ideal is 24.

Thanks for the comment Newman... *celebrate