My 10 Gallon Tank

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Is 10 gallons considered a nano?

So here's what I got:
10 gal standard glass (only using one light because incandescent gives off too much heat.)
Rocks and shells are from Little Creek amphibious base, VA
Plastic plants from the generic packs (I took a couple out. It looked crowded.)
Standard plastic jaguar skull holding the bubbler down
10 gal. whisper waterfall filter
Black gravel

Yes, I know my orange glofish is ready to pop any day now. Hopefully she pops over the shells so I get some free yet illegal for resale glofish.

Attachments

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
looks nice the black gravel shows off the glofish's colors quite well! I'd add a background, move the speakers (too much vibration unless you have it down reaalllly low), and add some easy live plants like hornwort and java moss. I like the skull and the rocks as well!

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Thanks! The speakers aren't plugged in so the only vibration they get is from the bubbler and filter. If I can find a background I like I definitely will.

A clump of hornwort would definitely cover that bare spot in the back where you can still see the aeration line coming up. Does it do well in just gravel?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Hornwort is a floating plant. Plant it in the substrate and it'll die within a couple of months. If you want an easy plant that'll provide good cover for that aeration line, go with frill/foxtail (depends on where you're at as to which it is called) or cabomba caroliniana. It does well in just gravel and low light.

As for the background, why not go with just straight black? It'll REALLY make your glofishes colors pop and focus all the attention on them and their colors.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Frill/Foxtail or Carolina Fanwort(googled from cabomba caroliniana) and flat black background. I'll see what the LFS has. I might try a darker blue since all the glows are yellow/orange. Thanks for the suggestions!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Just a note...the cabomba will more than likely be sold under the name cabomba, so keep both in mind when looking for it (Petsmart carries it, for sure). The flat blue blackground would work, too. I have a dark blue background on my 20gL with my GBR and black neons and it looks really good.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
honestly I use construction paper for my plain backgrounds. It does need to be replaced periodically, but if you have it laying around the house, try it to see how it looks :)

I believe you can weight hornwort down but not plant it.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I would suggest getting it lamenated at FedEx Kinko's or somewhere similar if you don't want it to fall apart and waste paper. It only costs about $3 (I got the background for my 5gal bowfront printed and lamenated at FedEx Kinko's for about $5.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Heh, yeah. I'm still working on the lingo. Up until a few months ago I was pronouncing is "chich-lid" instead of "sick-lid".

I picked up a pair of 50/50 lights to replace the single incandescent so the plants will grow and the tank won't catch fire. Jesus, I totally feel gypped by the incandescent lights. Worst possible lighting for a glowfish ever. They're much brighter now.

Also, the one of four LFS's in the area didn't have any of either type of plants. From what he said the Frill/Foxtail is a spring seasonal he probably won't get in, and he's never heard of the cabomba caroliniana. He's of the impression that it might be illegal in Virginia. The whole snakehead ordeal made the fish and game commission go overboard. (I.E. you can't sell any of those pretty crayfish without a food license...because people eat other crayfish...)

I'll hunt for it elsewhere.

Nice tank! Also I don't think 10 gallons is considered a nano, but I've seen some amazing planted half gallon and smaller tanks that they call nano and then some 5 gallon. So maybe it ranges.

Also if you do get some type of laminated background and it is reflective you can take pure mineral oil (just a dab) enough to rub all over it and place back on the tank rubbing it all thoroughly. I need to do this with my current background but the way it is set up would be impossible to move it, gah.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Yes, anacharis and wisteria will work.

No, those other oils will not work like mineral oil will. Mineral oil has different properties than regular cooking oils do. It's not greasy like cooking oils are, for one thing. If you put some type of cooking oil on the background to adhere it to the tank, you'll end up with an icky mess.